How long will the paint smell last?

Old 09-23-09, 11:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long will the paint smell last?

Hello everyone,

My husband and I were trying to save money so we used an Acrylic exterior paint on an inside room b/c it was the right color and we already had it. The smell is awful. Clearly we didn't think of that BEFORE painting! Does anyone know when (or if) the smell will dissipate? If not, will just painting over it with a different paint help eliminate the smell? We painted this past Sunday and today is Wednesday; still smells!

Thank you!

Stephanie in Virginia Beach

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-09, 12:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
Welcome to the forums Stephanie!

Exactly what exterior paint did you use? how old was it? did it smell bad when you opened the can?

Fresh air ventilation/circulation is the best method of removing paint odor.

Old 09-24-09, 09:59 AM
S
Hi there,

Thank you for responding. It is Benjamin Moore & Co. Premium Exterior Coatings, MoorGlo Soft Gloss Fortified Acrylic House Paint. It's probably a couple of years old. No, it didn't smell bad while painting. It was the next day when it was (or seemed) dry that I noticed the smell. It didn't smell like anything but paint when I opened it and even then it wasn't noticeable.

We're ventilating the room. It's a bedroom so I'm concerned about how long it will take to feel comfortable sleeping in there.

Thank you,
Stephanie

Old 09-24-09, 01:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
Sometimes latex paint will spoil but you would have smelt that when you opened the can and while you were applying it.

Some people are more sensitive to paint odor than others. Fresh air circulation is the only good way to remove the smell. Exterior paints are allowed to have a little more in the off gassing dept [as compared to interior coatings] but it should all disapate given a little time.

Old 09-25-09, 05:30 PM
S
Exterior paints contain higher concentrations of fungicides or mildewcides this is probably what you smell. (I think "preservatives" have been eliminated from most interior paints these days)

Exterior paints are not recommended for interior surfaces for this very reason.

If the odor does not dissipate, you may need to seal it off. Pigmented shellac primer is an odor sealer. It has a strong smell of it's own, but it will dissipate, use it with good ventilation during and after priming. It is used to eliminate smoke odor in fire restorations. See Zinsser's site for more info. on BIN shellac primer.

Old 11-06-09, 12:17 AM
E
I recently built a sunroom with exterior walls of our house now becoming interior walls. I thought it would be good to paint the walls with exterior paint since it will receive lots of direct sunlight. Now there is a lingering smell of urethane or of strong plastic. Been airing it out for weeks, but once you close all the windows the odor just builds up again. Steph_2084, were you able to get rid of the exterior paint odor? It pains me to have just built a sunroom and not be able to use it due to the paint smell.

Old 11-06-09, 12:52 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When I was in working in West Street, we had one of our bar remoulding, just got several kinds of wall paint, the smell was awful too. But a boss of a furits store just told us to put some skin of pineapple in the bar, and then the terrible smell had gone. We tried that, not very soon, but it really worked.
Good luck everyone!