Painting Plywood

Old 09-23-09, 01:19 PM
Painting Plywood

I just had a shed built using textured 1-11 grooved plywood. I have to prime and paint the shed and would like to know what is the best nap size to use for this. Also, if anyone has recommendations on exterior oil based primers and paint that would be great. Thanks

FC

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-09, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be best to use an exterior oil base wood primer followed by 1-2 coats of latex house paint. If you were to use SWP coatings, I'd recomend using their A-100 oil base primer and their super paint for the top coat.

I like to use a 1" to 1.5" roller cover. If you apply the paint liberally it will run into all the grooves and then back roll as it starts to set up to dress it up.

Old 09-24-09, 03:44 AM
Thanks Mark. I am considering the new Aura ine out from BM. Supposed to be a one coat deal with no need fro a primer. I will be double-checking with BM on this cosidering it's going over brand new wood. It's a little pricey at $60/gallon bit might be worth it if I only have to put on one coat and no primer. We'll see,,,,here is a link describing the paint. FC

Benjamin Moore Adds To Breakthrough AuraŽ Paint with Exterior Edition

Old 09-24-09, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've not used any of the aura line of paints but remain skeptical of any coating that says there is no need for primer. SWP has some 'self priming' exterior paints but what that basically means is on a repaint, you don't have to prime minor areas of raw wood.

IMO you will get a better job by using a seperate primer and paint. If I was to use aura, I'd still oil prime to insure a quality lasting job.

Old 09-24-09, 01:01 PM
Thanks Mark. I was thinking the same thing with the primer. Will do.

FC

Old 10-05-09, 01:59 AM
Mark,

Finally had a nice stretch of weather here in NY so I was out all day yesterday laying on the first coat of primer to the textured 1-11 on my shed. Took a little more time (and primer for that matter) than I had expected. Kind of tedious with the grooves. Got three walls and both peaks done after spending 8 hours on it. I took your advice on applying the paint liberally and back-rolling and it worked like a charm. Thanks again.

FC