painting faux wainscot

Old 10-07-09, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting faux wainscot

I'm getting ready to install fake wainscot throughout my two story entryway, including up the stairwell. When I say fake wainscot - i'm referring to the cheap method of using the existing baseboard and adding a chair rail and framed boxes made out of a 1 inch moulding to give the illusion of wainscot.

Today, the walls are all one color and were painted by the builder using cheap, flat beige paint.

After I'm done with the trim - I want to paint above the trim a little darker beige/brown - and go bright white below to make it really pop.

I'm concerned about what type of paint to use for the various 'parts' of the walls given that i still have younger kids that tend to forget we have stair rails and use the stairway walls as handholds. should i use a glossy paint for all of the moldings (base/chair/framed in boxes) and use a semi gloss for the actual walls themselves ? I worry about that being too shiney.

Should i use a more glossy paint for just the chair rail and base, but not the framed in boxes so that they blend in more with the lower wall ?

I'm rambling here - but hope i'm conveying my questions okay. Looking for input as I'm addmitedly not a good paint person. thanks in advance all !

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-09, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I generally paint the wainscotting with the same enamel I use on the rest of the woodwork. I'll enamel it completely from the base to the chair rail.

I'm partial to gloss enamel on the woodwork although many prefer semi-gloss. If you use a quality satin or eggshell enamel on the walls, they should be plenty washable or kid proof

Last edited by marksr; 10-08-09 at 04:30 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 10-08-09, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr View Post

I'm partial to gloss enamel on the woodork although many prefer semi-gloss. If you use a quality satin or eggshell enamel on the walls, they should be plenty washable or kid proof
If you had to guess - why would you say most people lean toward semi-gloss and not gloss enamel ? is it the 'shiney' factor or ease of use ?

Old 10-08-09, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
It's a personal preference. Some like a lot of shine [like me] some like very little shine and use a satin enamel on the woodwork. Most fall in the middle - semi-gloss. They all apply about the same although more sheen can highlight defects in the substrate or coating application.