Painting masonite board

Old 10-09-09, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting masonite board

I have (from the '70's) a wallboard that is probably similar to masonite with a factory docorative ( enamale like) finish on it. The finish is a semi gloss and is smooth. I would like to do a quick & inexpensive freshen up of the room with some paint, but I am a bit leary of the paint adhearing. Can this product ( probably Abitibi board) be painted, and if so , what steps and products should I use ? Would I be safe in doing a crinkle paper finish paint job on this wallboard, in a bathroom ?

Last edited by walter1550; 10-09-09 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-09, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't really have any working knowledge on crinkle finishes

The panels should be paintable although it may require a solvent based primer like zinnser's BIN to insure adhesion.

Old 10-12-09, 07:38 PM
Covering any sort of plastic can be tricky. I believe Masonite was a sort of fiberglass reinforced plastic. I think that if you want to coat over it, rough sand it to prepare the surface to let the paint adhere. Your best bet probably would be to use a polyurethane backbone dispersion for its adhesive properties. Can't make any guarantees but I think it would work well. Good luck

Old 10-28-09, 12:25 PM
masonite does not have plastic in it. It is a fiberboard. I double checked and it is. here is how it is made....

"It is formed using the Mason method, using wooden chips, blasting them into long fibers with steam and then forming them into boards. The boards are then pressed and heated to form the finished boards. No glue or other material is added. The long fibers give Masonite a high bending strength, tensile strength, density and stability. Unlike other composite wood panels produced using formaldehyde-based resins to bind fibers, Masonite is made using natural ingredients only, which makes it an environmentally friendly product."

anyway... maybe it's more like melamine? There are priming products available for melamine... just do a quick search and you will find all the info you will need! good luck