Painting wicker (bamboo) furniture

Old 10-10-09, 04:46 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Painting wicker (bamboo) furniture

I have a wicker (bamboo) piece of furniture which I'd like to spray paint with the brown expresso color to match my other furniture, and I'm thinking of using spray paint. Should I use a primer first for it to adhere to the wicker, or should I spray paint it directly to the wicker and skip the primer? Advice anyone?

Last edited by maruska; 10-10-09 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-10-09, 05:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the fourms!

What's on the wicker now?

Most of the wicker furniture I've painted was primed with exterior oil base wood primer and then 1-2 coats of exterior paint. Repaints were usually just 1 coat of paint [compatible with existing finish] I've brushed [sometimes with the help of a roller] and/or sprayed them although I couldn't imagine using a spray can. The paint in a spray can is usually very thin which makes coverage an issue.

Old 10-11-09, 06:56 AM
S
If the piece has a glossy surface now such as polyurethane or gloss enamel you might want to use a spray primer before spray painting.If this is an interior item use a spray such as Kilz spray primer or similar,do not use a spray primer that you normally see where spray paint is sold in the store as these primers are primarily for metal.The primer you want is generally located where wall and trim paint is sold in the store.If you don't see it ask someone where it is.

Normally you'd want to scuff sand a gloss surface but that is difficult with wicker.If you feel like you can then do so.

Use as high a quality spray paint as you can afford.The higher level products have far more pigment in them.They cover better and last longer.

If the piece is going to be used outdoors,there are spray exterior primers but not everybody carries them.They too would be located where regular paints are carried not where the spray paint is.Check the can and look specifically for exterior use being mentioned.

Old 10-14-09, 11:08 AM
M
Thank you both for the wonderful advice. The piece of furniture that I have is an oak color, not glossy and an interior piece of furniture. I bought a couple of cans of spray: Rustoleum Universal (advanced formula - Gloss) for all surface paint, and Rustoleum Painter's Touch Gloss (multi purpose paint). Are these paints a good choices of high quality for my wicker furniture? Also, should I use a polyurethane enamel afterwards the glossy paint to prevent chipping paint over the years? If so, can you recommend a good one?

Thanks so much!
Maruska

Old 10-14-09, 11:32 AM
S
The spray paint you bought is fine and should do a good job.You could coat it with polyurethane but you'd want to lightly scuff sand the gloss first.Since it's wicker that's not all that easy so you might wait and see.If it begins to chip you could recoat it then go with the poly.Since wicker gives you will want to see if the areas that get the most activity hold up before coating but so much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: