How to get latex paint off aluminum windows

Old 10-19-09, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How to get latex paint off aluminum windows

Hi,

I recently had some interior painting done. Latex paint, real nice job with an airless sprayer and all.

Only problem is, this morning I was looking the windows over. The glass was full of little paint specks and the aluminum frames feel like sandpaper. Evidently someone forgot to cover them before spraying

Talking to the contractor, he says itīs no problem: he'll just take a small razor to the glass to scrape off the specks, and the aluminum frame can be cleaned with a dishwashing pad.

The razor part on the glass sounds ok, but Iīm not too sure about that dishwashing pad on the aluminum frame. Sounds to me like Iīll end up with a frame full of tiny little circular scratch marks.

So, anyone know how to get this stuff off the frame? IMHO it should come off easy since the aluminum is natural finish: the only thing on it is the paint/concrete primer specks. AFAIK, natural aluminum canīt simply be "painted" without special primers or the paint peels right off. Question is how to get it off quick, without damaging the frame.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-09, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is this a new house under construction?

The overspray should have been dealt with before it had a chance to dry but it shouldn't be too big of an issue. A scotch brite pad coupled with soapy water for a lubricant will remove the overspray from the aluminum. The cleaning crews that work on new homes run into this fairly often and should be able to remove the overspray with no noticable damage.