Primer Selection

Old 11-01-09, 06:38 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Primer Selection

I am in the process of selecting an interior primer for recently textured walls on my new home. Is the KILZ2 a good primer? How does it compare to the Sherwin Williams brand? While at Lowe's today I noticed that the Zinsser Brand is the most expensive. Is it that much better than the first two I mentioned. Also, if the paint is cheaper than the primer could I use white paint instead of primer? Any comments are appreciated.

Old 11-02-09, 03:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Zinnser makes a lot of good primers but as with most primers, each primer has it's own particular uses. A good stain hiding primer isn't usually the best primer for raw wood, drywall, etc. I've not used much kilz2 primer but it reportedly has adhesion issues.

Since I mostly use SWP coatings, I'd more than likely use their primer. SWP's promar 400 wall primer would be a good choice.

Primer is important! It seals the substrate and allows the top coat to both look and wear better.

Old 11-02-09, 05:14 PM
S
Kilz has high name recognition but is produced at promotional quality levels.Kilz2 is a water based version of original kilz and frankly the Zinsser you saw is far superior and worth the difference in price.

Using regular paint as a primer is not a good idea.As mentioned primer has specific purposes and regular paint will not do or do as well the job primer is specifically designed to do.

Especially if you have adhesion issues,staining bleedm through issues or other issues beyond simply a need for a caot under your paint,Kilz will not perform as well as Zinsser comparable product or any mid to high grade primer that is part of a national well known brand.

Old 11-02-09, 07:43 PM
E
Thanks

Thank you for both replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: