paint/primer touch-up baseboards

Old 12-24-09, 04:52 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint/primer touch-up baseboards

Hi everyone,
This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway... I installed new pre-primed baseboards on the floor and ceiling, they came primed so they are sorta white. After fixing all the cracks and covering all the nailheads with putty, I want to cover my putty with primer to hide those things, but the primer seems to be more white than the baseboards. I really want to avoid painting all the baseboards... Are there different colors of primer? Should I go back to home depot and ask for a primer that will match the baseboard color exactly? or do I have no choice but to paint them all completely?

Cheers,
eg

Old 12-24-09, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 598 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You need to paint the baseboards with enamel! Primer isn't formulated for wear and will get dirty quickly. Primers like paints are formulated differently. I doubt that color consistency is anything they even worry about in the manufacturing process of primer. The wood trim is primed before it gets to the store and I doubt that HD even knows what type of primer was used.

Apply a coat of enamel to your base, in the long run, you'll be glad you did.

Old 12-24-09, 02:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You do not have to match the orignal primer and color variations in primer do not matter.Primers are meant to be covered with a top coat and not seen through it so when you top coat the difference in primer shades will not be seen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: