Steps for painting bathroom

Old 01-15-10, 08:45 PM
Steps for painting bathroom

Hello, I am re-painting the bathroom...while preparing/scraping the wall near the top of shower stall...I scraped some of the caulking off...it wasn't in the best shape, so I removed it all. My question is...do I paint first, then re-caulk...or caulk, then paint? Also, while scraping the wall portion, I took off more than I should have in spots, some of the drywall came off, is it ok to just use extra caulk in those spots or do I need to spackle 1st?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-10, 11:30 PM
I'm geussing that the caulking you scraped off is along the top of a shower surround?
Any way if appearance is an issue, using caulk to fill drywall damage... you ain't gonn like it, and the caulk ain't either.
I'd use a quick drying spackle, sand and seal it with primer.

Then you can paint everything and caulk, or caulk with a paintable caulk then paint.
Betcha can't say that five times fast.

If your using the caulk to seal around something that will not be painted, I find it's neater to paint first and try to use color matching caulk so it won't stick out. Rather than try to "cut-in" on top of a bead of caulking.

Old 01-16-10, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
While caulking might seal the torn up drywall, as mick said - it won't be pretty. You can use spackling for the repairs providing they are minor, other wise you should use joint compound.

Ideally the area where the caulking will be would be primed [or painted] first, then caulked and paint the caulk after it's cured for 1 day. I'd use a siliconized acrylic latex caulk - they are paintable. If you decide to caulk last and not paint over the caulking - make sure it's a tub and tile caulk. They have extra mildewcide to help prevent mold from growing on the unpainted caulk.

Old 01-16-10, 09:40 AM
I am not a big fan of quick dry spackle for anything larger than a nail hole etc.It has far less structural strength than regular spackle or joint compound.If your areas are largers than nail hole sized go with regular spackle.

Old 01-16-10, 11:31 AM
The damage to the drywall are gouges (I would assume) since they happened while scraping.

Considering the depth and width of the damage, I wouldn't suggest using the quick dry stuff either. I've had instances where it just flakes off after a while.

You can purchase a little tub of joint compound and knife it in and over the damage. Let it dry and sand. if it still doesn't look that good, you can always add another application, let dry and sand again.

Paint before you caulk.

GL!