"100% (junk?)" paint roller covers?

Old 01-18-10, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"100% (junk?)" paint roller covers?

LOL. The roller covers actually say 100% polyester, in big letters on the cover.

Hmmm. So what are they trying to say? Are they trying to make you believe that they are premium covers? Nothing was said that they are lint free or anything. These covers were selling for pretty cheap at my home center. I opted instead to go for more pricey ones that said they were made out of something that started with a D or B(I think), and said "woven" and "lint free".

I once read a label on something that said the prodcut was "100% faux (something)". [I think it might have said "100% faux naugahyde" (or leather.)] I am not making that up. Many people may not know what that word means.

So what do you think about 100% polyester paint roller covers? This would have to include how it behaves for various paint types, it's ability to cover in one coat, perhaps it's stipple pattern, if it sheds(even if only initially), how it wears, how it cleans up, or anything else.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-10, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
I'm an old school painter and detest using a synthetic roller cover. I almost always use lambs wool covers. If I need to roll an enamel on a slick surface, I'll use a mohair cover.

A synthetic cover doesn't behave like lambs wool. it doesn't release the paint as well and is also harder to clean. Synthetic covers are better at absorbing the paint than they are at releasing the paint. Synthetic covers are tougher and will take more abuse than lambs wool.... but if you let the roller do the work [and not try to squeeze out the last drop of paint] a lambs wool cover will last a long time. Synthetic covers also tend to have a greater amount of roller 'spray'

The term synthetic probably covers more than just polyester, but as I said, I don't like synthetic covers so I've never bothered to learn a lot about them. They make a synthetic/lambs wool blend cover - but I don't much care for it either

How much paint a roller cover holds is directly related to the nap size. Whether or not it sheds is almost always related to price. IMO a cheap cover isn't worth having.

Old 01-18-10, 04:52 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Some people are just too cheap to go into a paint store to buy a decent roller or a decent brush. I've had lint in the paint with some of those rollers. Also, I don't buy 3/8 nap, always 1/2 inch.

Old 01-18-10, 06:10 PM
marksr,

The knowledge of your trade, and your experience, really came through in your post. Really appreciate it. So what do you pay about for the lambskin roller covers?

Thanks Pulpo, also. Although, isn't there too harsh a stipple created on smooth walls with a 1/2 inch nap? Is it maybe a waste of paint, also? ???

Old 01-18-10, 07:11 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I feel I save a lot of time with the 1/2 nap. How much paint could I be loosing?

Old 01-19-10, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since I'm retired, I'm not current on pricing but the last lambswool cover I bought was a little over $10. Because they work well and clean easier than synthetic, there is plenty of incentive to clean and reuse, making them cheaper in the long run. Trying to squeeze every drop out of a lambswool cover will greatly reduce it's life.

There are times [but very few] when a 3/8" nap should be used but generally 1/2" is preferable because it holds more paint = get the wall painted quicker The roller stipple between the 2 nap sizes is negligible. I like to load the roller up, slop it on the wall and then as the roller cover dries, reroll that section of wall to even the paint out. I do use more paint than some but a thick fluid coat of paint gives better coverage. Think of paint as the lubricant for the roller - keeping the roller wet makes it 'roll' easier

Old 01-19-10, 05:59 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Agreed 100%. That "back roll" is important too, that is, rerolling the area that you just did after you dipped the roller. It gives such an even look.

Old 01-19-10, 11:17 AM
Huh. Interesting. Here I always thought 3/8ths roller was the one generally used the most. Unless of course the wall has deep texture pattern in it. For the most part we do smooth walls without even orange peel on them.

Old 01-19-10, 01:45 PM
No matter where you buy rollers price is the only way to establish quality.Cheap rollers of any construction will perform poorly.The higher up you go the better performance you will get.Most home owners do not need ten dollar roller covers but buying 4 for a buck ninety nine is only going to be trouble.

Also stick to well known name brands and higher grade store branded products,Expect big box stores to sell a lesser quality product in all ranges and at all levels.

This applies to brushes and other paint sundries as well as rollers.

Old 01-19-10, 01:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, it's rare to see textured walls around here but 1/2" nap is what most [myself included] use. In fla most of the walls had orange peel but we still used 1/2" nap although it was with the jumbo frames [bigger diameter]

A 1/2" nap should hold more paint than a 3/8" nap as mentioned previously that means you can paint faster and often get better coverage = better job, more profit ... and once it's back rolled, it's hard to notice any increase in roller stipple.

Old 01-19-10, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
Also stick to well known name brands and higher grade store branded products,Expect big box stores to sell a lesser quality product in all ranges and at all levels.

This applies to brushes and other paint sundries as well as rollers.
Hmmm. Even SW sells some of the same stuff as my home center does, but for bigger $'s. So with products home center does not sell, and SW does, then how you to know that it is of higher quality?

Today's market is different than what it used to be. The famous M brand washer is no longer the same. The M repairman now DOES have to come out. The place that advertises several hundred $ men's suits sells shirts that no longer even list the neck size or sleeve length to get a better custom fit!: Only labled as L(large). And when I see ads that something is handcrafted, often machine made is more uniformly accurate. Hand made can = botched job! I don't trust diamond store ads either, for same reasons. Reasons being - high end stores often simply lead people to believe their product is better, so people go there and shell out, without really understanding what they are getting.

I've become very skeptical today, and no longer believe that price is always the proper indicator. Seen too many things sold at specialty stores for way more than same identical thing I've seen at Walmart.

Old 01-20-10, 08:26 AM
I've been in hardware/home improvement retail all my life and I can tell you it is extremely common for big box stores to use high volume of purchase power to pressure,almost always successfully,manufacturers to produce product,usually with no or very little label change,that is of a lesser quality and is produced to meet a price point not a quality level.

I don't trust any product sold in a big box that is the "same" as a product sold elsewhere such as other hardware retail or retail in a related category to be the "same".

When a company that has the purchase power of a big box retail approaches a manufacturer and asks for concessions they get it.Not only does volume speak but so does advertising,product placement and even threat to not carry product at all at their locations.

Old 01-22-10, 03:19 PM
By same I mean same. Like say Bin 1-2-3, at paint store say $25/gal. -at home improvement store, $15. I am making a point, not an exact price quotes. Or aluminum oxide sandpaper at paint for say 75 each, but 25 each at home improvement store. Ertc., etc. I really do think specialty stores jack up their prices, on same exact items, to make up for smaller volume in sales and/or lesser volume buying power.

The roller covers I was speaking of, that I bought, are called lint free woven Dralon. They cost $3.36 each. What sold me was the words lint free and woven. I suppose the woven part is what helps it to be lint free.

Old 01-23-10, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are some coatings sold at a big box that are identical to what's sold at the paint store. Zinnser's primers and CWF are 2 such product lines, and yes the big box sells them cheaper. I know one of the big box stores sells Purdy brushes but I don't know if they are the same as the ones I've bought at the paint store.

But these are just a few of the paint products sold at both stores. The majority of coatings stocked at a big box are there because of price, not quality. Paint stores stock coatings that range from the cheap [not worth using imo] to the best, priced accordingly. Paint stores will give their commercial customers discounts. Other than promo deals, I've never gotten a discount from a big box.

I'm not familiar with the Dralon brand although that doesn't mean much especially if they don't carry lambswool I might be a bit of a skeptic but I don't always believe what they print on the label - I prefer for it to be proven to me