How do you make paint stick to melamine vereer MDF?

Old 01-20-10, 10:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do you make paint stick to melamine vereer MDF?

I am making a sewing cabinet out of white on white melamine MDF. There were a few chips out of the melamine and I had Home Depot mix a white (Behr Premium plus) simi-golss to match the melamine. I have used "Easy Liquid Sander and Degloss" on the melamine, but the paint doesn't adhere very well. You can just scrape it off with a finger nail. Any recommendations on making the paint adhere?

Old 01-20-10, 12:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It would have been better to either use an oil base enamel, or a pigmented shellac [like zinnser's BIN] under the latex.

It takes latex enamel a week or so to cure so part of the problem might be putting the cabinet in use too soon. Not all latex paints are created equal and generally the coatings you find at a big box are stocked based on price rather than quality.

Did you use the deglosser according to instructions? How long did you wait after applying the deglosser before painting?

Old 01-20-10, 01:29 PM
J
The deglosser said to shake well and it would be milky. I did that and it was. It also said to wait to dry to touch, about 10 minutes and then paint within the hour. That is what I tried. The paint has only cured about 8 hours so far. I waited the 4 hours the paint instructions said before recoating.

Old 01-21-10, 03:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I thought you were supposed to paint within 20 minutes of the deglosser application but it's been years since I've bothered to read the label - guess I'll read the label next time I go to my shop Deglosser softens up the current finish so it's easier for the next finish to adhere but since you followed directions - we can rule that out.

You definitely need to give the paint more time to cure! Hopefully the enamel you use will dry to a hard enough film to be usable. I'd plan on giving it a week and then see if it will easily scratch off. If it does, then the only choice would be to remove the paint and start over

Old 01-21-10, 12:22 PM
J
OK, I am back to sqare one. All paint has been removed. I have sanded the melamine face with 120 grit paper and have cleaned the surface. I bought a new can of deglosser, but it doesn't to paint soon after using. Do I use the deglosser since I have sanded? Is there some other product that will work better. How long should I wait between coats of paint?

Old 01-21-10, 03:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I still like to use deglosser, wiping the substrate down with deglosser both softens the original finish and helps to clean off any contaminants. Be sure to turn the rag frequently so you don't just move contaminants around.

After the deglosser has evaporated [5-10 minutes] apply a coat of BIN. It will dry in 20-30 minutes, give it an hour, sand lightly with 180-220 grit and apply your enamel. If you wish to apply a 2nd coat of enamel it would be best to let it dry over night first and then lightly sand and remove the dust [with a clean dry rag] prior to repainting.

I can't vouch for the Behr enamel. I don't know if it will dry to a hard enough film to give you a decent job.... but it should adhere fine to the BIN. Oil enamels dry hard = good wear, but white oil base enamel is prone to yellow as it ages. Personally I'd use a waterborne enamel like SWP's proclassic waterborne enamel. It dries fast and almost as hard as oil base. It is however one of the more expensive enamels

Old 01-21-10, 04:31 PM
J
Thank you for your help. I will get some BIN and possibly have some of the SWP enamal mixed to match the color of the melamine. It is great to have access to your expertise. Thanks again.

Old 01-25-10, 05:44 PM
J
Just one more update. The BIN worked great and was very easy to apply. The Behr enamel bonded to the BIN and all looks great. Thanks again for your advise and assistance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: