fire hydrant painting

Old 01-20-10, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
fire hydrant painting

Here's a picture of the rusty ol' fire hydrant I'd like to spruce up.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1308.jpg
The city said it doesn't belong to them so I can paint it any color I like. But I need some tips on the best way to prep this thing before I start painting, as well as any tips on the best type of paint to use, to really spiff it up nice. I don't have a sand blaster so suggestions to sand blast would be out.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-10, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I suppose sand blasting would be ideal but a wire brush should do a good enough job coupled with the right coatings.

After it's cleaned up as good as you can get it, use an oil base primer [rustoleums's rusty metal primer would be a good choice] followed by a coat or 2 of a decent exterior oil base enamel.

If it doesn't belong to the city, have you checked with the water dept? is the hydrant still operational?

Old 01-21-10, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
I would also use a rust-converter on the rusty spots.

Old 01-21-10, 07:57 AM
B
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
Here's a picture of the rusty ol' fire hydrant I'd like to spruce up.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1308.jpg
The city said it doesn't belong to them so I can paint it any color I like. But I need some tips on the best way to prep this thing before I start painting, as well as any tips on the best type of paint to use, to really spiff it up nice. I don't have a sand blaster so suggestions to sand blast would be out.
Fire hydrants belong to some organization unless someone just placed it there for the neighborhood dogs.

I used to be a volunteer fireman in a area where the builder would install the water system in a development and then either operate it or turn it over to the water department. We also had a few areas that used recycled water for the hydrants and were owned by the local fire department. If you pay someone for your household water, they probably own the hydrant or can tell you who does.

Our fire department never minded someone painting the hydrant as long as the paint wasn't applied so thickly we couldn't open the hydrant. However, one neighboring town insisted that every hydrant be red.

Old 01-21-10, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
If it doesn't belong to the city, have you checked with the water dept? is the hydrant still operational?
Yes, the hydrant is operational, and I checked with the person of authority at the city water dept who was the one who told me I could paint this hydrant "any color you want."

Old 01-21-10, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I would also use a rust-converter on the rusty spots.
I have some POR-15 which I was thinking of using on the rusty spots...

Old 01-21-10, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by BigRedSoxFan View Post
Fire hydrants belong to some organization ... If you pay someone for your household water, However, one neighboring town insisted that every hydrant be red.
I'll call the water dept again and double check to find out for sure whether they own this particular hydrant and if not who does. When I spoke to them about it before they knew exactly which hydrant I was talking about and said I could paint it any color I like after telling me they paint the ones they maintain yellow.