Second coat of paint is peeling..

Old 02-12-10, 05:29 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Second coat of paint is peeling..

While doing some repairs in the bedroom, I needed to put some duct tape around a light swith. When I removed the tape, it removed the paint (leaving an ugly green color first coat showing). I can now peel the second coat off without any effort. What happened? Did the previous owner not apply a primer?

I want to paint over the second coat (another ugly blue color)
what should I do? Will two coats of a good primer/sealer such as Kilz 2, be a good idea?

Anything special I need to do to the area where the paint is peeled off before I apply the primer?

Thanks in advance for any help. I want to do a good job on this as I plan to put the house on the market.

Old 02-12-10, 01:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As you now know, duct tape & paint don't mix. That's why they make painters' tape.

I would use a little setting compound on that section, then prime & paint.

Old 02-12-10, 01:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
I think a little sanding to remove anything loose would be a good start, then what Pulpo said

Old 02-12-10, 02:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
How old is your home?

It would be best to remove anything that's loose, then depending on what the underlying paint looks like you may need to use a coarse grit sandpaper before repairing with joint compound. Once the repairs are made, prime them and then you should be ready for your new paint.

Generally 1 coat of primer is sufficient. If the last top coat was latex paint, then a latex primer is fine. If it's oil base enamel, a solvent based primer should be used. It's quite possible that originally an oil enamel was used and then when the switch to latex was made - the proper prep/primer was skipped which usually results in peeling or chipping paint when the wall is given some abuse [duct tape]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: