Can I Thin SW SuperPaint?

Old 02-16-10, 06:03 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I Thin SW SuperPaint?

I'm no novice to painting in general but I am new to SW's SuperPaint. I recently used their Duration for the first time to paint new interior doors and was very pleased with it. I decided to go w/the slightly less expensive SuperPaint, however, for the doors' trim & jambs. (It's semi-gloss, extra white, untinted btw.)

I can see where pro painters love it because it dries so quickly and covers in a 1 or 2 brush strokes - which unfortunately is a problem for me because it does dry so quickly and it is so thick. There's no 'play' time and almost zero margin for error & correction before it starts to drag.

I tried using as little paint on the brush as possible but then it wouldn't cover sufficiently, and I was constantly having to reload my brush. So I experimented on some scrap trim by thinning some down w/just a few drops or so of water and it applied a lot easier (for me anyway).

If I do this in small increments - adding the same amount of paint to a pail along w/the same amount of water each time to each batch of paint - is this okay? I know it's sacrilegious to pro painters, but otherwise I'm going to be a nervous wreck when I have to do all the other 11 jambs and 11 sets of trim.

Old 02-16-10, 09:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Most paints can be thinned up to 10% although you might lose some of the coverage and wear ability properties but if it helps you to get a better looking job - it will be ok. Products like flood's floetrol and XIM's extends also can help to make fast drying latex paints easier to brush.

Old 02-16-10, 10:22 AM
E
Thank you, marksr, for the quick and helpful response. I Googled 'floetrol', and as you recommended, it appears to be just what I'm looking for to help me w/the rest of the painting (and the baseboards & crown molding that will follow).

On Flood's site, however, there was an advisory that it might diminish the sheen of gloss paints. Does that mean there may be a significant dulling of the SuperPaint semi-gloss on my trim?

Thanks again.

Old 02-16-10, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I can't say for sure as I rarely thin my paint but I doubt it would be all that noticable.

Old 02-16-10, 06:18 PM
E
Thanks, again marksr. I picked up a bottle of the Floetrol at Lowes right after I read your response. I'll try it over the weekend and post back as to how it worked out. Appreciate your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: