Paint brush prep

Old 02-28-10, 12:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint brush prep

I have seen recommendation to prep your paint brush before use.
How is that done and does it help anything?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-10, 08:32 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Professional Painting Help

What people are talking about is taking the time to clean a brush before you use it. Once you get a new brush, you should always take some time to clean it with just cold water, bend it back and forth. You never want to use a brand new paint brush because it could have some loose bristles and you don't those in your paint or on your wall. Don't be afraid to bend it back and forth and really move it around. If it's a quality brush you'll be fine! If you have any questions post again and I will help you out. Have a great day, you're go to guy Matt Roefer.

Last edited by marksr; 03-01-10 at 05:41 AM. Reason: removed company name
Old 03-01-10, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I've never bothered to do any prep to a new brush but I always buy quality brushes [often the purdy brand] I've never had a problem with a latex brush although I will run my fingers thru a natural bristle brush just in case there are any loose hairs. You do not want to wet a natural bristle brush with water as they are for solvent based coatings only [and water will destroy the brush]

Cleaning a new latex brush as Matt described doesn't hurt although you want to make sure the brush is dry before you use it. Small pockets of water in the brush have the potential for problems when you use it.

Old 03-01-10, 06:43 PM
D
The prep sounds good, like an inspection before use. Do you do any conditioning after use?
Thanks

Old 03-01-10, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
I like to rub my hands with just a tiny bit of vaseline, and then rub the bristles in my hand a bit to make sure they stay flat and straight before putting the brush back in its sleeve.

I also try not to put a wet brush back in a sleeve. After beating any moisture out of them and tipping them off as I mentioned above, I let them hang or sit out overnight, then put them in their sleeve. I only use brushes with paper sleeves, not plastic ones. (like Purdy)

Old 03-02-10, 03:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
It's always a good idea to store the brush in the wrapper/sleeve. That helps it to retain it's shape

The better you clean the brush, the longer it will last. Often this involves taking a wire brush and combing the bristles to remove any dried paint. Start at the ferrule [metal part] and push the wire brush to the tips of the bristles. Usually latex paint will clean up fine with soap and water although occasionally some latex paints or paint additives will need 1 rinse with paint thinner to remove the oily residue. This would be followed by another rinse with water.

Old 03-08-10, 07:41 PM
D
Thanks for the tips.
Daniel