Oil based primer over lacquer paint

Old 03-12-10, 11:03 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil based primer over lacquer paint

I think I am an idiot. I just discovered that I put two coats of Kilz oil based primer over lacquer painted walls, including the bath room. Did I screw up or can it be saved? What kind of paint should I use for a final coat or two for the hall way and especially the bath room?

Or is it to late and how do I start over?

Many thanks in advance.....

Old 03-12-10, 01:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
What kind of walls are these? It would be unusual for lacquer to be used on walls. On rare occasions lacquer coatings are used on residential woodwork.

You can use latex, oil base or waterborne paints over the kilz. You can not use lacquer over the oil primer. Bath rms should be painted with latex enamel. A kitchen and bath enamel would be best.

Old 03-12-10, 03:27 PM
S
I have never come across lacquer painted walls in my years. Unless they are pre-finished OEM panels of some sort, they are not likely lacquer.

In any event, the original oil Kilz may have adequate adhesion. You can test the adhesion by doing a cross cut tape test, if it passes, you are OK.

If this is not oil Kilz but latex, and you used it over glossy paint, you may have a problem particularly if the primer gets saturated with humidity. Many latex primers applied to a slick surface (including some "bonding primers") will fail if they absorb moisture as the paint adhesion will weaken when saturated. Many latex primers will not adhere at all to a glossy surface wet or dry.

I am not as familiar with Kilz as I am with XIM or Zinnser primers. Both Xim 400 oil and Zinsser Coverstain (oil) have very good adhesion to glossy paint as long as the surface is good and clean.

I would use a bathroom paint over the Kilz for a number of reasons.

Old 03-13-10, 06:20 AM
C
Thanks guy's. I do not know anything about paint types. I think it is a latex paint instead of lacquer. It is very smooth, glossey and shows brush marks like crazy.
Thats one of the reasons I am painting over it.

So it looks like I am O.K. after all.

Thanks again...

Old 03-13-10, 08:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It's always a good idea to scuff sand glossy surfaces prior to painting - it both helps with adhesion and can help to minimize the brush/roller marks from the previous paint job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: