Envirotex-Lite on faux-stone counter?

Old 03-31-10, 10:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Envirotex-Lite on faux-stone counter?

Hello,

Based on my searches of this forum, the general consensus seems to shun painting countertops. However, we are "budget-renovating" an old Airstream trailer and the mustard yellow laminate kitchen counters have got to go!

I am considering two options and would appreciate some feedback.

1. Rustoleum's Countertop Paint
RustOleum.com

2. Using a faux-stone spray with an Envirotex-lite "epoxy style" coating.
Krylon: Products: Make It Stone! Textured Paints
Environmental Technology Inc.

I prefer the appearance of option 2, but am also cautious about the epoxy application because our counter edges are not curved (there is a metal trim), and most other cases I read about allowed excess to simply drip off the edges as it self-leveled.

Does anyone have experience with Envirotex? Any other suggestions for achieving a similar finish?

Thanks for your time,
Jen

(BTW - Photos of someone who used this techniques can be found here, responses 2 through 4 below the original article: Painting Laminate Countertops)

Old 04-01-10, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

All the refinished counter tops shown in the pics look nice but I didn't notice any comments on how well any of them have held up over time. I have my doubts about any coating holding up on a counter top...... and you sure don't want any coating to come loose and get mixed in with food preparation

I suppose if I was to try any of the coatings, a camper would be a good place to experiment since it's not likely to see the same use [an abuse] that the counter in your home kitchen would. You could tape up the metal edging but you'd have to make sure you removed it before the coating started to cure - or it might not come off.

I'm not all that familiar with the process but couldn't you glue down a new formica surface? The big box stores sell counter top slabs that aren't too expensive. I'm sure you would have to rip them down to a smaller width. Home much would either of those cost compared to the coating you're considering using?

Old 04-01-10, 06:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I hadn't fully considered new laminate as an alternative; it's apparently less expensive than I thought. A sheet as small as 3x5' should do it.

My only hesitations are that I've never worked with laminate and the unusual shape of the countertop. It's all one piece, the front has a curve so it sticks out more at one end, and there are parts cut out for the sink and stove. I assume between a circular saw and a multimax I should be able to cut this? What's your opinion of the brush-on contact adhesive to mount the new laminate directly over the old laminate? I'm guessing it would be difficult to get a good shape match without removing the one.

Thanks

Old 04-01-10, 09:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know if you can use contact cement over the existing laminate but as well as contact cement holds - I would think you could. Might be best to find out for sure from someone that knows.

With the exception of a house I used to own [sold in 1991] I've never worked with laminate countertops and even then I used the prefab ones from the big box. I've worked just enough with contact cement to know you need to get it right the first time.

The sink is usually cut out with a saber/jig saw. A skil saw might work if you have a fine enough blade. Taping the area to be cut will help minimize any chipping. I've seen the pros on the job use a small router to cut the outside edges.

You might try posting in either the carpentry section or the furniture and cabinet refinishing section of the forums. Hopefully there you would get a response from someone that knows more about using formica.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: