Painting over Polyurethane

Old 04-12-10, 12:11 PM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Painting over Polyurethane

We are planning to paint the base board and trim in out den. The old finish is clear polyurethane. How should we prepare the polyurethane surfaces for painting with satin finish latex paint?

Old 04-12-10, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
All you need to do is sand [remove dust] and prime with a solvent based primer. BIN would be best but most interior oil base primers will be fine.

It usually takes 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of finish paint to cover the stained/natural trim.

Old 04-13-10, 03:04 PM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Painting Trim

Than you, Mark.

I suppose steel wool would be OK to use instead of sand paper?

Old 04-13-10, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ya #000 steel wool pads will accomplish the same thing as sanding with paper, and they'll follow the contours with even pressure, like you're thinking. I find that sharp indents will still require their own special pass, just to be that much more thorough.

It can be benficial to wet sand with wool pads since they will last longer and not collapse. Although I don't ever wet sand since when I do I can't get over the feeling that I'm not accomplishing anything... ...

(I can't feel the "bite" and the liquid hides the deglossing effect)

Old 04-14-10, 04:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The only issue with using steel wool is if any of the steel is left on the wood - it can rust, discoloring the latex paint. Probably not a problem if you use a solvent based primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: