How to paint an Emco Forever plastic door?

Old 04-13-10, 06:45 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to paint an Emco Forever plastic door?

I have an exterior Emco Forever screen Door that is weathered on my house. It is some kind of plastic layered door and I know plastic cannot be treated like other substances. How would I paint this thing white again? Would simply using and exterior primer and spraying it first before using a latex paint be acceptable?

Old 04-13-10, 11:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
What shape is the current finish in? is it chalky?

I'd clean the door and then coat it with a quality latex house paint maybe with some emulsa bond added. I doubt you would need a primer.

Old 04-13-10, 12:09 PM
H
Yes its rather chalky and a little rough but not really peeling off more slightly flakey. It was white and now the gray plastic underside is showing through. I thought that I read you had to use special paint on plastic or it would wrinkle.
Looks like Forever only lasted about 15 years.....

Old 04-13-10, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Per Emco/Andersen...

"Polypropylene Store-in-Door™ Traditional and Crossbuck model doors purchased after September 2002 cannot be painted."

Though I think you probably can with correct prep and color choice. I remember people painting white doors to a brown color in full sun..then wondering why they stuck and jammed during operation.

Old 04-13-10, 02:12 PM
H
Well mine was purchased well before 2002 so maybe I am in luck. The alternative is to junk it so what do I have to lose. I will try a good exterior primer and then try the latex paint. You can't sand the thing due to the texture so perhaps a couple coats will even it out.

Old 04-14-10, 03:55 AM
B
The =best thing to do would be to clean very very well the prime with XIM's Plastic and Vinyl primer. The topcoat with 100% acrylic exterior paint. I would give this system a 80-90% chance of working. Unfortunately, it depends on the polymers used in the plastic to make your door. Those are always changing.

Old 04-14-10, 04:18 AM
H
I just contacted Emco/Anderson and apparently they know of the problem. I was asked to supply pictures and the serial number of the door and they opened a claim. I hope I will get some warranty compensation out of this for a replacement door.

Old 04-14-10, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
I didn't even think of that! Been too long since I dealt with the issues I guess. Back when I was selling these things..they were giving away free doors! Hope it works for you too.

Old 04-14-10, 07:11 AM
H
Thanks! Maybe they learned it's not a good idea to put the name "FOREVER" on a product now.....

Old 04-14-10, 01:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Lifetime finish doesn't mean a whole lot. Ever look at any of those painted metal roofs that have a lifetime finish. I'm not sure what the warranty covers but at 15-20 yrs - they need painting. Aluminum siding usually needs painting after 20-25 yrs. Chain link fences even need painting at some point.

I'm sure the companies are banking that the purchaser will no longer be the owner when it comes time for refinishing.... and then there's the companies that are no longer around when it comes time to collect on the warranty

Ok, I'm done ranting

hy_tek, I hope Emco/Anderson comes thru for you

Old 04-14-10, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhhh but those roofs and siding..and even the storm door.....does the finish substantially affect the FUNCTION of the door/roof/siding? Many of these products have limitations on painted finish or hardware...but not the basic product.

Just like the hardware finish on EMCO doors...yep it's warrantied for life...once! In other words...6 yrs down the road..they'll replace it..one time....no warranty on the replacement parts.

Old 04-14-10, 01:44 PM
H
Hey all I can do is try....if they had no intention on doing anything I suspect they would not have given me a claim # or asked for pictures.... if you don't ask you don't get anything in life or Forever doors....Beer 4U2

Old 04-14-10, 01:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I like to see me and everyone else get there money's worth - including warranty coverage........ but if it weren't for lifetime finishes wearing out - I might not have made as much money over the years

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: