Using Interior Paint Outdoors??

Old 04-15-10, 04:41 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Using Interior Paint Outdoors??

Quick question. I have some garden signs, and some artwork that I've painted with interior paint, that I'd like to put outside. Is this possible??

What I (mistakenly) did:
1) Painted plywood in 3 coats of white exterior latex paint
2) Then painted over it with colored interior paint (vegetable labels, cut outs of Beatrix Potter rabbits, etc.)

So, is there a way to fix this? It seems part of the problem with interior paint (now that I've researched it) is that it leaves the wood exposed, and is not good in extreme temperatures. I figure the priming in exterior paint protected the wood, and if I brought it in in the Fall/winter, I wouldn't have it exposed to extreme cold (though it would be exposed to extreme heat).

But for flaking, sun exposure, rain exposure, etc. Is there some sort of sealant, varnish, or something I should use on them? Or is it a lost cause??

Thanks!

Old 04-15-10, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'm not sure if anything you apply over the interior paint will help much. Since interior paints aren't formulated for exterior conditions the paint will fade and wear away [or peel] with exposure to the elements.

IMO the best plan of attack would be to leave them as is and then repaint them correctly when they start to look bad.

Old 04-15-10, 05:03 AM
A
Thanks for the reply. It was a Glidden satin interior that I used, if that matters.

Any idea of the time-frame I'd be looking at for degradation? Are we talking weeks, or months?

And if peeling is a significant problem, wouldn't a clear exterior varnish help? (I can't picture it peeling under a varnish...)

Old 04-15-10, 05:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Varnish and poly don't hold up real well under full sun and rain. As far as I know, exterior poly/varnish only comes in oil base which would yellow any light colors and possibly deepen the color of the darker paint. It would also complicate repainting when the time comes.

How long it takes for the paint to fail depends on how much weather it's subjected to. I would expect it to hold up thru at least 1 growing season.

Old 04-15-10, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
If it was me, I'd give them one more coat of exterior paint hoping to prolong the life for more than 1 yr. I made the same mistake once (home center didn't give me the type of paint I ordered over the phone and then when i picked it up I didn't look at the can, assuming that it was right! )

It seems to me that the dried paint coating was thinner, has less adhesion, and did not hold its color in direct sunlight due to UV.

I would think a protective coat of exterior paint would make it last a little longer, but like Marksr I think the adhesion is what will get you- flaking will probably eventually shorten the life of the paint job.

Old 04-15-10, 06:02 AM
A
XSleeper - sorry, I don't think I did a good enough job of explaining the situation. I've got multiples coats of a white exterior paint as a base coat. Over this, then, I painted a colorful picture (of carrots, tomatoes, etc. for the vegetable labels, and also large colorful portraits of beatrix potter characters to stand up around the garden).

So, adding another layer of exterior paint would just give me a blank "canvas" again. Short of purchasing exterior paint in lots of colors, and re-doing all of the drawings again.

Old 04-15-10, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
LOL! sorry, I guess I didn't read your first reply carefully- now I understand. My suggestion sounds pretty funny now... blank canvas. LOL!

Old 04-15-10, 01:25 PM
A
So the consensus is that I'm SOL and should just leave it be until it weathers enough to repaint the artwork in exterior paint colors?

Old 04-15-10, 02:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that's what I'd do. I don't think poly is a good option, and repainting over the art work with the right paint at this time might not be worth the effort.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: