New Homeowner Needs To Paint!

Old 04-24-10, 11:37 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Homeowner Needs To Paint!

Hey Everyone! I stumbled across this forum this afternoon while trying to decided on which brand of paint to use and I figured that I may as well ask the experts!

I've user Behr, Glidden, Valspar (the Big Box paints) in the past while painting apartments that I've lived in. I was never to concerned with durability or longevity because i knew that I'd only be there for a couple of years, at the most.

My wife and I are closing on our first home in just a few days and one my first projects is going to repaint the entire interior.

I've noticed that folks here seem to prefer Benjamin Moore over the big box stuff - but they say to stay away from Benjamin Moore's lowest line of paints. I'm trying to find a good balance of quality and price, because I'm going to need a lot of paint! I went to BenjaminMoore.com to see what their prices were like, and it looked like they only had 2 lines of interior paint: Aura $56.99/gallon, Natura $49.99/gallon and Ben $33.99/gallon.

I'm not sure that I can justify a paint that costs $50/gallon so I was considering the BEN line, but is that much better then going with a Behr or something from the big box? I planned on priming all of the rooms before hand, just to give myself a clean starting point.

Also - do you recommend using something special to wash the walls with before you start painting?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-10, 03:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congratulations of becoming a homeowner!

I suspect the BM store didn't show you their bottom of the line coatings which are geared more towards cheap rentals. I've used a lot more SWP than BM so I'm not real familiar with their selection of coatings. Is the Ben line similar to their Regal line?

Priming isn't always necessary when repainting interior walls. Generally priming is usually only necessary when adhesion or coverage is thought to be an issue. Priming doesn't hurt but it isn't always needed.

Paint will adhere better to clean walls although there isn't a need to be fastidious about it, as long as the substrate is relatively clean - your good to go. Most any type of cleaner will work, just be sure to rinse off the residue well!

Old 04-24-10, 08:59 PM
E
Thanks marksr! Honestly, I'm not sure if it's comparable to SWP's Regal line. Would you recommend SWP over BM? We're not really super picky, honestly. I just want something durable that will go on easy.

If it helps, we're going to be painting our living and dining room a light gray, bedrooms some kind of neutral color, bathroom some shade of blue and I think the kitchen some shade of light green...

I know that some brands have issues with really dark colors, but I don't think that will be an issue with us...

Old 04-25-10, 05:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily recommend SWP over BM.... or BM over SWP. I just have more experience with SWP's lines of coatings.

Old 04-27-10, 03:55 PM
M
Eddy,

Here are my experiences with BM paints:

BEN is not BM's bottom-of-the-line paint. The contractor grade Super Spec is the least expensive interior BM paint I know of (about $28/gal) and I think the Eco Spec paint is also less expensive than BEN. Assuming "you get what you pay for", then those would be some of BM's lower grade paints. There may be others that I'm not aware of.

A couple years ago I had a painter do several rooms with 2 coats of Super Spec. (This was after buying the house when I was busy getting ready to move and didn't have time to DIY it). To my eyes the Super Spec looks pretty good, and still looks as good as the day it was painted.

My local BM retailer claims that he sells as much BEN as anything else in the store. He claims that BEN is a very good paint for the money, and is probably priced a bit lower than it otherwise would be simply because it's a newer product which BM is trying to promote.

I painted a room recently with BEN and am pleased with the results.

Hope the above anecdotal info helps you.

Old 04-27-10, 05:56 PM
E
Thanks Marrow! That's perfect. I think we'll be going with BEN for our new home!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: