Need some help on which way to go

Old 04-26-10, 10:17 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some help on which way to go

I am getting my home painted in the next few weeks and need some advice on which paint I should buy. I have looked at Behr, SW, Valspar and BM. We have textured walls in alot of the rooms and need something to cover all of that up. We are painting the whole interior and exterior of the house. We are going to be using Eggshell in whatever we buy interior so just some more info. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-10, 01:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What do you mean you have to cover the textured walls? If you have a textured wall now, it will still be textured after you paint.

Old 04-26-10, 03:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Ya, paint will do very little to hide the texture. The paint will just be a fresh coating over the texture. If you want slick finish walls, you would need to skim coat them with joint compound, sand, prime and then paint.

I would advise against using any painter that buys his coatings at a big box. Better coatings can be found at your local paint store. Both SWP and BM have good coatings. A paint contractor should have an account at 1 or more paint stores and be able to purchase the paint at a lower price than you can.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 04-28-10, 08:48 AM
S
I know the walls are going to stay textures, just want to know what is the best paint to put on them.

Old 04-28-10, 11:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The best paint can vary depending on your budget. You will find better coatings at your local paint store than you will in any paint dept. But most paint stores also sell some of the same cheap coatings that the big box sells so you need to go with their mid grade or better.

Enamels are more washable than flats. Flat paint tends to look better but only the top line flat paints are washable. If you have kids [or grandkids] enamel is a better choice. A latex eggshell or satin enamel has a low sheen but is fairly washable.

The better grades of paint will apply, cover and wear better than their cheaper counterpart. I'd rather use a cheaper grade on the ceiling [if price is a concern] and not skimp on the wall paint...... after all the ceiling doesn't get a lot of wear

Old 04-29-10, 07:28 AM
S
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
The best paint can vary depending on your budget. You will find better coatings at your local paint store than you will in any paint dept. But most paint stores also sell some of the same cheap coatings that the big box sells so you need to go with their mid grade or better.

Enamels are more washable than flats. Flat paint tends to look better but only the top line flat paints are washable. If you have kids [or grandkids] enamel is a better choice. A latex eggshell or satin enamel has a low sheen but is fairly washable.

The better grades of paint will apply, cover and wear better than their cheaper counterpart. I'd rather use a cheaper grade on the ceiling [if price is a concern] and not skimp on the wall paint...... after all the ceiling doesn't get a lot of wear
Yeah, we have a 3 year old and a newborn. So I am thinking of BM Ben or Regal paint for walls and all. We also need something for the exterior.

Old 04-29-10, 02:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's rarely cost effective to buy less than the best for exterior painting. Compared to labor, the extra cost is minimal.