tannin oils are not my friend

Old 05-18-10, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tannin oils are not my friend

Please help, I am going crazy! I have a mahogany bed that I deglossed, cleaned, primed with a latex primer and 2 coats of white paint. 2 weeks later it is completely pink. I have stripped all the paint off, sanded and re-primed with Kilz oil based primer (2 coats) and I am still seeing peach/pink color bleeding through the primer. I am afraid to even bother coating it with paint at this time for fear it's still going to bleed through. Anyone have any suggestions before I simply give up???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-10, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The oil base kilz might be enough to stop the tannins from bleeding thru the top coat. Applying a coat of pigmented shellac primer [like zinnser's BIN] should guarantee no bleed thru.

Old 05-18-10, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
I second the BIN recommendation. It's great. But it dries fast!

Old 06-07-10, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tannin oil

ok, I used the BIN primer and yes it took some time to get used to it beetween how fast it dries and it's consistency. I have applied 3 coats of it and I think I need another however, it seems to be working since I can only see a little bit of pink bleed through here and there. If the 4th coat of primer and coat of paint doesnt work I think I will just paint it pink and give it to someone with a little girl since my son defiinately wont sleep in a pink bed

Old 06-07-10, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
I can't imagine anything bleeding thru multiple coats of BIN. You might want to try the finish paint on 1 section - I'd expect it to be alright