Painting on window screens?

Old 11-30-00, 11:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am attempting to paint on fiberglass window screen...at least I think it is fiberglass. All I know is that it is NOT aluminum. It is a dark grey, a lot smoother than the aluminum, meaning I did not have to use gloves to cut it. The problem is that the paint is not drying on it. Any ideas? Sincerely, confused painter

Old 12-01-00, 04:41 AM
Visiting Guest
The paint not drying would not be because of the material it is applied on ( now paint will take longer to dry on slick surfaces rather than porous), but because of temperature, huminity and type of paint. Was this an oil based or waterbased paint and what type? Is it dry today?

Chip

Old 12-01-00, 05:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy It is still not dry...

I keep feeling it every day. My husband said to throw it away and start all over. I used Nicole Metallic silver spray enamel. Yes, it is cold here right now. I sprayed it in the garage, let it stay there overnight, then brought it inside by the fireplace to dry. So do you think if I spray it indoors in a paperbag that it might work? Please bring me good news. I have a whole bunch of these to make!!!

Sincerely,

becky

Old 12-01-00, 07:57 AM
Visiting Guest
me again...

Should I possibly sand it a little before spraying it?

Old 12-01-00, 03:25 PM
Visiting Guest
If it did dry by the fireplace then I would say it is too cold in the garage, you could spray them in the garage and bring them inside to dry overnight, not nesasarily by the fireplace but just inside somewhere.

If the fireplace did not dry them then I would suggest trying a different brand paint, I have run across paint that would still be tacky after two weeks, in the summertime(this was a quality brand oil based paint, I am sure it was a bad batch)

Sanding will not help it dry, although it will help adhesion and smoothness in most cases.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: