cleaning walls before painting

Old 12-01-00, 11:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The people before us smoked. I need to clean the walls and ceiling and then paint. What should I use to clean the walls and should I rinse after? How long should I wait to paint?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-00, 03:33 PM
Visiting Guest
You come to the right place, here is a page on cleaning walls: http://doityourself.com/patch/prepaint.htm

If this does not help please post back.

Chip

P.S The ingredient mentioned tri-sodium phosphate can be found at most paint stores, called TSP.

Old 12-05-00, 09:20 AM
the_02860
Visiting Guest
I have also used a product called 'Dirtex' which is available at most hardware stores or Home Depot. It works well for this purpose.

Todd

Old 12-10-00, 05:27 PM
Visiting Guest
painting over smoke-stained walls

Yes the other replies were correct. However, I have come across smoke stains that no amount of washing would remove. There are sealers that were created for the purpose of sealing smoke stains, water stains, ink, etc. There is one called B.I.N. that is excellent but the fumes are atrocious. Nowdays I use either Z-Prime or Kilz. Both come in water-based formulas. They are more expensive than most interior paints, but believe me, if you value your time they are well worth it. You just paint it on and when dry top coat with any kind of paint you want. Hope it helps.