Painting Oak Bathroom Vanity

Old 12-06-00, 09:01 AM
Visiting Guest
I would like to paint an oak bathroom vanity. Someone told me I can just paint right over the current finish. I don't want to get into stripping, etc. What is the easiest way to accomplish this job? New to do-it-yourself projects, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-06-00, 11:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Joanne,

Assuming it is stained with a clearcoat, what you would need to do is clean it thoroughly to remove any dirt, grease, etc. Let it dry thoroughly. Then lightly sand it with a 220 grit sandpaper to scratch the surface, remove the sanding dust with a tack cloth (paint store) and prime with a quality oil based primer or undercoater. Sand again very lightly and remove dust. Then you can paint with any quality paint, I would recomend an oil based interior gloss for durability and ease of cleaning. Be sure to remove any hardware (handles, knobs) and removing the drawers and just painting the face board just around where it meets the "box" standing them up to dry. I usually leave the doors on and cut-in or paint the hinges because it is easier for me, you may also want to remove them as well and paint one side at a time leaning them on a wall in the garage (unless it is too cold out there)

Hope this helps,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: