Painting wood paneling with strips

Old 08-26-10, 09:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting wood paneling with strips

This is my first post - these forums are great.

I have a 1954 home and the "study" has wood paneling separated by wood strips (see picture). I'd like to paint the paneling but I'm not crazy about the wood strips since they will interrupt the flow of the wall and date the room. The wood panels sound hollow when i knock on them so I'm thinking they are mounted directly on the studs. I see no visible nails in the panels, so the strips might be mounted to the studs which secure the panels by overlapping the edges.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of wood paneling before? Is it worth ripping out the strips? Or should i just leave them and paint over everything? Or should i rip it all out and put in new drywall?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-10, 09:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Take the covers off of your electrical plus/switches - that should allow you to see if there is drywall behind it. It's been awhile but I've seen that type of paneling before, it's thicker than today's paneling and is probably installed directly to the studs.

To paint, you need to scuff sand everything you intend to paint and then apply a solvent based primer [latex primers won't adhere as well to the poly/varnish] Latex paint can be applied over the solvent based primer. It will take 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of finish to get a decent job. Sanding lightly between coats will help you get a fine finish.

The 'strips' are part of the paneling but also help disguise the joints every 4'........... or am I viewing the pic wrong?

The advantages of replacing with drywall are, that gives you the opportunity to update the electrical and insulation. The down side is it will be a messy job and require more work/cost than painting the paneling.

Old 08-26-10, 09:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
I hate to see good looking wood covered with paint

Just my 2, I'd leave these alone

If you want painted walls, have you thought about hanging drywall instead?

Old 08-26-10, 10:12 AM
P
mark - thanks. i'll remove the plates and see what's behind. yes, you are viewing the pic right. the strips are every 4' feet or so (except for near the vent, they are closer). do you think i should take off one of the strips to see what's going on behind it?

mitch - i hear you, but this is going to be my home office, and i'll be spending a lot of time there. i'd like to brighten it up a bit. by hanging drywall, do you mean hanging drywall on top of the wood, as opposed to removing the wood and then hanging drywall? if the former, how would i adjust the installation to take the baseboards and crown moulding into account?

Old 08-26-10, 10:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
I'd take the paneling down to hang drywall - you have to modify a lot of stuff if you add drywall over it, as you already figured out

Old 08-26-10, 02:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
I wouldn't remove any wooden strips unless you decide to take the paneling down. With the strips removed, you'll have a crack/joint between sheets of paneling. Some will remove them and fill the void with joint compound but that isn't a good idea. Done poorly, it looks bad and even if done neatly - there's a good chance it will crack and some of it may even fall out

Old 08-26-10, 03:05 PM
G
paint

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Take the covers off of your electrical plus/switches - that should allow you to see if there is drywall behind it. It's been awhile but I've seen that type of paneling before, it's thicker than today's paneling and is probably installed directly to the studs.

To paint, you need to scuff sand everything you intend to paint and then apply a solvent based primer [latex primers won't adhere as well to the poly/varnish] Latex paint can be applied over the solvent based primer. It will take 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of finish to get a decent job. Sanding lightly between coats will help you get a fine finish.

The 'strips' are part of the paneling but also help disguise the joints every 4'........... or am I viewing the pic wrong?

The advantages of replacing with drywall are, that gives you the opportunity to update the electrical and insulation. The down side is it will be a messy job and require more work/cost than painting the paneling.
If you do paint......Some friends of mine had panel in their family room, they primed and painted as Marksr described and it looks really good.