100yr old cedar siding- Prep

Old 08-26-10, 04:05 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
100yr old cedar siding- Prep

In Seattle so moisture is an issue- no vapor barrier & in many places have sanded and scraped down to bare wood. I do not believe bleed through is a problem with this siding, to the contrary my husband thinks that oil primer is preferable because it will be absorbed more into the siding & will hold the paint better.

We are planning to paint two coats of primer over the entire house, but wasn't sure if oil was the best choice.

?

Old 08-27-10, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Normally an oil base primer is the way to go but on older houses that lack the proper vapor barrier [often light on insulation too] it is better to use an exterior latex wood primer. Latex primers do a poor job of sealing tannins but it will let the siding breathe. Often what happens on these older homes is moisture travels thru the siding [from the inside] and if it's stopped [by an oil base paint/primer] it gets trapped and sooner or later the paint will peel

I don't seen any benefit from a 2nd coat of primer unless there is tannin bleed. A 2nd coat of finish paint would do more good than a 2nd coat of primer. I'd add some of Flood's emulsa bond to the 1st coat of primer.

oops, almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 08-27-10, 08:27 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I agree with Mark - one coat of primer but consider two coats of paint

What paint do you anticipate using and where are you planning to get it?

Old 08-29-10, 12:07 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
paint

We had used Parker Paint, previously which has been more than 15 years ago- and were happy with it, so we were going to probably use that again.

Old 08-29-10, 12:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't believe I've ever used or seen that brand but there isn't much sense in changing from a winning product - you know it holds up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: