Kitchen Cabinets

Old 12-11-00, 10:00 AM
JOK
Visiting Guest
O.K. I'm ready to repaint my old dark wood kitchen cabinets. I plan to lightly sand, then prime with oil based primer (kilz ultra). My question is what is the best based paint to use? Enamel, latex, oil??? I have heard that high gloss is the most durable. My wife actually prefers high gloss white. I have some exterior oil based high gloss white left over from a previous job. Can I use this on my kitchen cabinets? Will it yellow over time? Is it safe? Please help.

Old 12-11-00, 11:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Until recently enamels were considered oil based or alkyd, now the paint companies also have latex enamels. I always use an interior oil base gloss for interior woodwork, it will be more durable than a latex, and the gloss is easier to keep clean. As far as useing exterior, many moons ago I took a painting course and there I learned that some exterior paints can put off fumes with time, I have never heard anything since so I don't know how true that is. To play it safe I would use interior, being sure to go to a quality paint store for best results.

Tip on painting with oil, if you thin the paint a little with mineral spirits or Penatrol (read the label for thinning), it will make it easier to brush and will flow out smother, you just have to be very careful about runs and use a quality oil based paint brush, I would recomend a Purdy China Bristle sash brush.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-11-00, 05:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Chipfo is right about the oil. Always be watching for runs, or you get to scrape them off the next day! If you have a lot of flat wide open surface consider using a mini sponge roller. Practice on a surface before diving in to your job. If you are painting white remember...oil paint will yellow in time. Chipfo, is latex enamel the way to go in the kitchen if painting white to avoid the yellowing problem? I've done it on several kitchens, no problems yet...knock on wood....

Old 12-11-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
JDX, you are right, there are some high quality latex gloss paints that work well on woodwork now-a-days and since it is easier to work with may just be the answer for JOK, just be sure to go to a quality paint store for best results and remember even the pro paint stores sell lower line paints which ultimately result in a less quality finish, use there best or there recomended product for the job.

Old 12-12-00, 05:55 AM
JOK
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help. I'll go Sherwin Williams and see what they've got for this project. Once again I appreciate your help.

Old 12-14-00, 10:21 AM
tim964
Visiting Guest
I painted my kitchen cabinets white about 6 years ago and used a paint called Klenks Epoxy Enamel, which I purchased with a recommendation from a sales person at my local home center. It was guaranteed not to yellow, but unfortunately, it yellowed badly within a few years. Sorry I can't tell you what would be good to use, but this is one brand to stay away from.

Old 12-14-00, 05:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Stick with top of the line Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, or Devoe. Stay away from all that other junk on the market that they call "paint".

Old 12-28-00, 02:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile Painting with Melamine

Paint with melamine paint and you will have no yellowing and have a good hard surface. Hard to apply but great for cabinets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: