Using Stenicls

Old 09-13-10, 11:05 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Stenicls

Hello,
I’m trying to paint my daughter bedroom and I have to use some stencils. And for this project I need some suggestions.

a. Can I use a regular printer or copier paper for making the stencils or I need some other paper?
b. If I use the printer or copier paper, will the paint penetrates through it?
c. Main and most important question: How should I stick the stencils on the wall? Do I need any tape or special adhesive for that? Please advise the cheapest mode, as this is one time operation.

An earlier reply would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 09-14-10, 03:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I've not used many stencils. You should be able to use most any paper for the stencil but you'd need to figure out how to attach it to the wall. Generally it's best to spray or lightly brush/roll over the stencil. Paint seeping under the edge is a bigger problem than paint soaking thru the paper.

It would probably be prudent to test the paper on something [to make sure the paint won't soak thru] prior to using it on the wall.

Old 09-14-10, 05:58 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My wife stenciled our daughter's room years ago. She used a special brush and the stencils themselves were made of a heavy paper/light cardboard. I don't know if the paint was specifically designed for stencils.
Masking tape was used to attach the stencil to the wall.

Old 09-14-10, 10:14 PM
F
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
My wife stenciled our daughter's room years ago. She used a special brush and the stencils themselves were made of a heavy paper/light cardboard. I don't know if the paint was specifically designed for stencils.
Masking tape was used to attach the stencil to the wall.
Thanks. How she attached the masking tape. She put allover behind the stensil or just simply attached it. And as marksr
below, does the paint seep under the stensil.

Old 09-15-10, 08:45 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Friend77 - She just used the tape around the edges. The stencil process is different than painting. The paint is not brushed on as much as it is dabbed on. The amount of paint usedis also much less than normal painting. There was no concern about the paint running. At least that's the way my wife did it.

If you Google stenciling you can get a ton of information on products and process.

Old 09-17-10, 10:47 AM
T
Smile

Hi Friend...I have stenciled many walls and have always used the stencils made from mylar (plastic-like sheet). They are durable and the paint will not saturate into the stencil. Easy clean up as well. You can find them at any craft/hobby store and now even in the paint section at your local home improvement store. It is best to use the brushes made specifically for stenciling as you have much more control of the amount of paint applied and where. I've used the circular motion when applying the near dry-brush method. Masking tape or any easily removed paint tape works....around the edges of the stencil. I've even used scotch tape and it's just as good. The stencil is only in one spot for a very short period of time. Hope that helps and good luck.

Old 09-18-10, 09:09 AM
F
Originally Posted by tryitonce View Post
Hi Friend...I have stenciled many walls and have always used the stencils made from mylar (plastic-like sheet).
Thanks, I have cut all the stensils on the brown craft paper. Can I use craft paper also?
Thank you

Old 09-18-10, 06:08 PM
S
You can make stencils from cardboard. I have used manila folder cardboard for this. Mylar is better and is transparent which makes it easy for tracing designs onto it.

Paper stencils will be "floppy" and will disintegrate when the paper gets saturated with water from the paint.

Can you use craft paper? Maybe, but you should waterproof the stencil before you actually use it on the wall. I would put a coat of shellac on the stencil, this will help prevent it from getting water saturated when it comes time to actually use it. Note: shellac (or any coating) may cause the paper stencil to curl, so tape it down when you do this and allow it to dry, then do the other side. Just do one thin coat, the heavier the application of shellac, the more it will want to curl. (You may want to test this on blank paper stock first, before shellacking your stencil and see if it does curl badly just to be safe).

A paper stencil will be more likely to tear also with the constant taping and un-taping from the wall. Mylar won't tear.

In any event, tape the corners with blue easy release painter's tape, and leave it on the stencil for the duration of the whole job. Only remove it at the end of the job.

Stenciling is done by "pouncing" or tapping the paint on with a fairly dry brush. This prevents paint from migrating under the edge of the stencil, and gives crisper lines and edges. It is best to use a stencil brush, but you can use a small trim brush, but you should tape the around the bristles to firm them up - giving you something like you would have with a "real" stencil brush.

Acrylic stencil paints work best because they dry so quickly. This keeps the stencil "clean" (dry paint on the stencil is "clean" as opposed to wet paint on the stencil which is sloppy). The quick dry allows you to overlay the stencil on your previous paint quickly too, which is necessary most of the time when lining up the stencil as you move it along the wall.

Old 09-19-10, 05:50 PM
F
Thanks, I practive on the craft paper and the color dosent panitrate. I think I can use it as I just want to use it for one time but as you said, I'll tape all the edges. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: