S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Paint Smell Wont go away - 1 Month Later

The following were performed on a bedroom:

- Stripped off wallpaper
- Primed with KILLS oil based paint, left for 1 week to dry
- Covered with 2 coats of latex paint
- Sponge painted to cover

All Latex paint applications were give a day to dry. The paint smell is very present to the point where we have had a window exhaust fan running for weeks. I have a dehumidifier running in the room now in hopes that will help and it is smelling more than ever in there.

This is my daughter's room and I am concerned. Is there something I can do to remedy the situation and are the fumes potentially dangerous? I won't let her be in the room w/out the fan on and today we are shutting the room up to try the dehumidifier solution.

Please let me know any thoughts I am having trouble locating information on this specific topic. Are we being oversensitive?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Old 09-25-10, 12:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Fresh air circulation is the best method for removing paint odors. I don't think closing off the room and running a dehumidifier will help any. The off gasing of the paint should be over and one would think that running an exhaust fan for a week would remove all traces of the odor...... but some folks are more sensitive to odors than others.

Old 09-27-10, 08:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yep, more ventilation

Odors are particulate and moving more air over the surfaces will speed the release, thus getting you to the point where there's nothing left to release faster

Old 10-08-10, 05:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I painted our bathroom not too long ago with an oil-based primer and latex paint. I have vowed never to use oil-based paints or primers again on the interior of my house. I had a window exhaust fan and a fan blowing fresh air into the room and it still stunk for weeks.

The VOC factor is enough to deter me away from oil based products. After a few coats of primer, my head was swimming and I learned about VOC's the hard way. No thanks....

Old 10-08-10, 08:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem is there isn't a good enough alternative to solvent based primers. Latex primers don't adhere as well to certain surfaces and also do a poor job of sealing certain stains.

Generally a latex primer is preferred but there are times when you need a solvent based primer to do the job correctly. Oil base enamels aren't needed as much as they once were but there are still applications where they are the preferred coating.

Old 10-08-10, 09:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
A few coats of primer?

I almost never need more than one

Old 10-09-10, 03:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Good catch Mitch I missed that

About the only time a 2nd coat of primer is ever needed is with certain troublesome stains, otherwise 1 coat of primer is almost always sufficient.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: