painting, ragging

Old 12-14-00, 04:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have heard of a process called rose-on, but have been unable to find much information.I would really appreciate any information that one might have.
I was told about a product called Flotrol. I was told that it can be used in place of the glaze, but they did not know what ratio to use or if you had to use something else with it ,as well as the paint. I watched a video that suggested that if you add water to your paint you get a translucent appearance like the glaze is that so? I called the number on the back of the flotrol and asked if the flotrol would give a tranclucentappearance like the glaze does and the lady told me no. If water would give such a look why wouldn't the flotrol, or does it, and the lady just is not that familiar with it? Help I need more information,please.
Old 12-15-00, 08:34 PM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: United States
Posts: 2,484
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've only used the glaze...

When you add water to latex paint you just get very thin paint. It may work and you may like it. What will be missing is the shine you get from a glaze.

Flotrol may work. I doubt the company would endorse that. Its not what the product is intended to do and if it turns out to be not what you expected, the company gets bad press.

A quart of glaze may cost as much as a gallon of paint, but you only need a quart.
Old 12-16-00, 10:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I am not much into the faux finishes so I am not familiar with the rose on technic, but here is a site on ragging, etc. I didn't see "rose-on", but it has some helpful tips.

Hope this helps a little,
Old 12-17-00, 05:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
maxfield, Bobf is right about the thinned paint. Thinning paint is used for sponging, ragging and other finishes. Some go over these with a glaze for protection/sheen. Nothing I know of will give the look of glazes except glazes and any kind of clear finish material that colorant may or may not be added to get the look you want. Glazes come in oil and water base with the oil giving the most open working time. Flotrol can be added to water based glaze to extend open time. Here is link to a very good faux site


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: