Old paint peeling down to plaster

Old 10-15-10, 05:45 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old paint peeling down to plaster

I was about to paint an interior wall and couldn't bc I could chip the paint off down to the plaster. Mom painted it twice since 1970 and someone else painted it a few years ago that rented the house.
Did this person use the wrong type of paint?
I hope the other walls aren't going to be this problem. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-10, 07:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
How old is the house? Is there still a layer of paint on the plaster? What room is it peeling in? Do you know what type of paint was originally on the wall?
http://forum.doityourself.com/painti...latex-oil.html

If the renters used the wrong type of paint it isn't likely it would peel/chip down to the plaster [only that paint would be affected] If the walls were painted with an oil base enamel and then painted over with latex - the latex is subject to peel. It is possible that the oil base could be painted over several times before the 1st coat of latex lost it's bond.

I've not used it but Zinnser has a peel stop primer. I wouldn't rely on the prime alone but would try to remove as much loose paint as feasible. The edges of the peeled areas can be softened by spreading a thin layer of joint compound or spackling over the edges.

Old 10-15-10, 08:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'm with Mark - remove anything loose, skim with joint compound, prime and paint

Old 10-16-10, 08:32 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint peeling

The house was built in 1951 . Only two walls in the dining room so far did this. I was told, too to buy Bin byu Zinzer . thanks so much

Old 10-16-10, 12:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Zinnser's BIN is one of the better adhering and stain hiding primers BUT it also has the worst odor It will stick well but if what it's stuck to isn't stuck......

Since you have an older house it's likely that lead based paint was originally used Care should be used when removing lead based paints, both breathing the dust or ingesting paint particles can be detrimental to your health. Unfortunately you will need to remove the loose paint - just take precautions and clean up all the debris well. Lead is a bigger danger for children than adults.

Normally flat oil paint was used everywhere but the kitchen and bath along with all the woodwork. Latex paint should adhere well to flat oil but won't adhere well to oil base enamel. If the dining rm [or other rms] were painted with oil enamel, that would explain the peeling. Most solvent base primers [including BIN] will adhere well to an oil base enamel