exterior painting in cooler weather

Old 10-15-10, 10:10 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
exterior painting in cooler weather

I'm tired of looking at my old, faded vinyl shutters so I thought about painting them. I've been told that I can use any acrylic latex paint but one with urethane in it would probably adhere better. Since the weather is getting colder, I wasn't sure if latex paint would work as well in these lower fall temperatures. While shopping for paint, I see that some of the more expensive paints can be applied in temperatures as low as 35 degrees. Since it takes up to a month for paint to cure, how long does the temperature have to stay above 35 degrees in order to have a long lasting paint job? The guy at the paint store says I should be okay as long as the temperature stays above 35 degrees the day I paint and the paint has time to dry thoroughly before being exposed to the cool night air and early morning dew. Can I have satisfactory results when painting in this weather or would I be wise to just wait until the Spring to paint them?

Old 10-16-10, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've always cleaned the vinyl and applied latex paint with some emulsa bond added.

It's always been my understanding that the 35 degree paint meant the temp couldn't go below 35 degrees for 24 hours after it's been applied. I have applied paint on warm days where the temp fell below freezing at night and as long as the paint had a few hours to dry first - there was no apparent harm to the paint...... but I'd rather have good weather conditions

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: