painting over paneling

Old 12-19-00, 04:10 AM
Visiting Guest
We recently purchased an older home (aprox 25 yrs old). All of the rooms are paneled and very dark. We need to paint to lighten and update . I do not know if the paneling is real wood or some type of composite. How can I tell? At least 4 rooms are involved. If this is too much for us as do it yourselfers, how much should we expect to pay a contractor?

Old 12-19-00, 06:17 AM
Visiting Guest
kccoop,
You can do this. First I would wash the walls with either TSP or Dirtex, to remove any furniture polish, wax, etc. that may have been applied, then lightly sand with a 220 grit sandpaper to make sure the primer will adhere its best, then prime with an oil based interior primer (Kilz or Zinsser)For best results sand lightly again (just quickly run over it to knock off any dust particles or raised fibers)Remove sanding dust. Then paint with a quality latex wall paint of choice.

If you want to take it another step for even better results, you can caulk the seams and trim with a PAINTABLE latex caulk after priming and sanding but before painting. Use a wet finger to smooth and a wet rag to clean up the excess, allow to dry.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-22-00, 09:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Painting over Paneling

Thanks for the information. This sounds as though it will be quite a lot of work. My room sizes are 1)22x12, 2)16x14, 3)23x20 and 4)23x19. With rooms this size, should we still consider this a do it your self project? Any tips on how to wash and sand easier than with a hand sander and sponges and a bucket? Should we just hire a contractor? Any idea on cost?
Thanks again!

Old 12-22-00, 11:26 AM
Visiting Guest
When it comes to painting the prep work often takes longer than the actual painting.

About the only way I know to wash interior walls is with a bucket and sponges, now the washing can possibly be skipped depending on what, if anything, is on them, site un-seen I cannot recomend it. As far as the sanding goes you are looking at just light sanding, just running over it with the 220 grit to "scuff" the surface, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes a room depending on how fast you work I wouldn't even bother with any machine sanders. The cost of a painter will depend on your area and the experience and quality of the contractors work, probably anywhere from $1.60 to 2.75 a square foot (floor ft.)

It is not that much really, if you have done any painting at all then you can tackle this and save some money. Do one room or wall and decide if you want to do the rest.

Hope this helps,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: