How to paint a non paintable silicone

Old 12-04-10, 08:43 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to paint a non paintable silicone

How to paint a non paintable silicone I have done the same misstake and didn't realise until i try to pait. But a little of brain movement give me a bright idea, and i did paint successfuly all trims around bath tub, and paint stays on it okay. Just in case you did same misstake that i did, used non paintable silicone and try to paint. Don't wory, you will paint too, and paint will stays on it. You don't need to srape old silicone or use painable silicone over non paintable silicone, or any thiners. ALL YOU NEED! IT'S A REGULAR HAIR DRYER BLOWER. PUTT THEM ON HIGH HEAT AND GO!. First apply a thick and and even layer of paint on surface you painting, and apply heat before paint get's off of the silicone, and there you go, the way to SUCCESS!!! Or try to paint and use at the same time hair dryer. Hold hair dryer about 10 inches away. But do not over paint, other way you'll have to scrape the paint, and make it even worse. You can re-paint with roller when it's completly dry, but the first time you have to paint with paint brush. And good luck!!! And if you have any questions, ask at *****************

Added By. Alex Dovgalets.

Last edited by marksr; 12-05-10 at 04:46 AM. Reason: removed email address for your protection
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-10, 04:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
Welcome to the forums Alex!

The reason your hair dryer trick worked is the paint dried before it had a chance to crawl. If I have to paint over silicone, I'll use a a fast drying primer like zinnser's BIN [it might take 2 coats]

It's almost always best not to paint over silicone caulk. It remains flexible for a long time and often there will be paint issues down the road because the caulk will flex but the paint may not.

Old 12-06-10, 06:09 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alex,

I have used a little trick that an old painter taught me years ago. Just re-caulk over the top of the silicone with a good painter's caulk (like White Lightning or DAP 360) and you are ready to paint.

Also, marksr had it right as well. If you are painting both surfaces that the silicone is grabbing, then try using the BIN spray can.