mold growing on ceiling above shower

Old 12-18-10, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mold growing on ceiling above shower

i have a sheetrock ceiling in my bathroom...above our cast iron tub and tile side walls, some mold is beginning to grow...it is an area about 1 square feet...small black spots...it is getting larger...we don't have a exhaust fan in the bathroom...i know...big no no...

so, how do i fix all of this...cleaning methods and what to do to repaint and prevent from happening again...

Old 12-18-10, 04:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
A bleach water solution should easily remove any mold/mildew. Be sure to rinse off the bleach residue before painting. Zinnser's PermaWhite would be a good paint to use on the ceiling. Unless I'm mistaken, it can only take a small amount of tint [if desired] for darker colors go with a kitchen and bath enamel [it has extra mildewcide] Perma White would be my 1st choice.

Giving the bath rm a little more ventilation will also help - opening a window, leaving the door open, small fan, etc.

Old 12-19-10, 12:49 AM
V
I saw this mold-blocker primer:

K R A F T P A I N T S .GR

"Transparent water - based product, fungicide action, for indoor and outdoor use. Contains special biodegradable ingredients preventing growth of microorganisms such as mildew, manginess and algae. Suitable for walls, stone, brickwork, cement, water pools, ceilings, lockers, foodstuff warehouses, professional ovens etc."

Its got some instructions on how to use too but I am not sure how it works exactly

Old 12-22-10, 10:54 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Kraft Paints doesn't provide MSDS on their products, and so there's no way of knowing what's in it that kills mold and/or mildew.

However, as Marksr pointed out, ordinary bleach will kill anything living on a bathroom ceiling. And, repainting with Zinsser's PermaWhite (or any paint made specifically for bathrooms) will prevent re-occurance of the problem. Paints specifically made for bathrooms will have mildewcides in them that slowly leach out of the paint film and kill any mildew spores that land on the paint before they have a chance to grow. This mildewcide is not a liquid that will evaporate from the paint. It is a solid that's so highly soluble in water that even the high humidity in a bathroom will cause the mildewcide to migrate through the paint film toward the surface of the paint. So, to maximize the lifespan of a bathroom paint, don't clean the paint any more often than necessary. That's because every time you wipe the paint down with a damp cloth or sponge, you're removing mildewcide from it's surface. That mildewcide will be replenished by the mildewcide that still inside the paint film, but the faster you remove the mildewcide from the paint (by cleaning, for example), the sooner the mildewcide will become depleted, and the sooner the paint will become susceptible to mildew growing on it. You can, however, paint over a bathroom paint with more bathroom paint to restore the protection against mildew.

Old 11-13-11, 08:19 AM
another

i cleaned ceiling with some bleach solution, so it went away for a good while...it is now coming back...i haven't had time or really taken time to repaint it with zinser permawhite yet...

however, i now need to reclean because some more mold is starting to grow again...

so, after i clean with a bleach solution and hopefully rinse as much bleach solution off, do i need to prime??? if so, with what???

or can i just paint over the old with the permawhite???

thanks

Old 11-14-11, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If the existing paint is solid, there shouldn't be a need for primer. That's assuming that the existing paint is latex, if the existing paint is oil base enamel, then you would need a solvent based primer before applying latex enamel - perma white is latex. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

Old 11-14-11, 06:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
There's a moisture problem you need to address - do you run the bathroom exhaust fan whenever the tub/shower is in use?

Old 11-14-11, 08:00 PM
S
mold treatment

you can paint after cleaning, without primer.

the new mold resistant paint available through ICI and Glidden are mold resistant for up to 5 years.

In bathrooms with inadequate ventilation its a god send.

Last edited by serajinn; 11-14-11 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling, sigh...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: