Roller edge on ceiling

Old 01-15-11, 11:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roller edge on ceiling

I screwed up and, when I painted my ceiling, I didn't feather out as I rolled the paint. It dried quicker than I expected (it's a long ceiling) and now I've got three long, edged stripes running down. You can see the slight edge where I finished one area, turned around and started another.

Is there a least painful fix for this? It's a sanded finish so sanding is out of the question.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-11, 11:41 AM
D
So I'm being told that I can just recoat the ceiling and that should fix it. But one person said it didn't matter which direction I painted while another said I should paint in the opposite direction I first took.

Old 01-15-11, 01:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 292 Votes on 260 Posts
If you can't feel the ridge - paint should fix it, otherwise sanding or a thin coat of j/c or spackling is needed.

Cross coating a surface helps to insure better coverage but likely isn't needed for your situation. I'd try touching up those areas before I'd go thru the trouble of recoating the entire ceiling.

Old 01-15-11, 08:33 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Drhowarddrfine:

You say you've got three long edge stripes running down your ceiling.

Are these stripes caused by excess paint being squeezed out along the edge of the paint roller sleeve so that they form a "ridge" of paint on the ceiling? Or, are these stripes the result of two coats of paint overlapping and therefore hiding the underlying colour better than a single coat of paint?

That is, do you have increased colour density along these stripes, or an actual ridge of dried paint?

If it's the former, then the correct fix is more paint. If it's the latter, I'd probably use a tungsten carbide paint scraper to remove the ridge, and then re-roll over the scraped lines with more paint.

Old 01-16-11, 04:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 292 Votes on 260 Posts
Wonder where my reply went?

Oh well, let me try again. While scraping is often preferable to sanding, the majority of the time it will remove a little more material than needed. because of this, it's almost always beneficial to add a little j/c or spackling to replace the excess material that was removed - then prime and paint.

Old 01-16-11, 04:44 AM
D
I can feel a very fine edge where there is a slight build up of paint. I don't want to scrape or sand this because it's a sand finish requiring me to put that finish back on if I remove it. It looks as if there's a lighter shade as the dividing line between the two swaths of paint. So I'm going to try and roll over them later today and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Old 01-16-11, 02:21 PM
D
Well, that didn't go well. Same bucket of paint but near the bottom and it didn't match what's up there at all. So I'll have to repaint the whole ceiling. I can still see the edges but it blended better so I think we can live with it.

Or not live with it. We're selling the house.