What size roller nap to use?

Old 01-20-11, 02:13 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size roller nap to use?

I'm re-painting my bathroom, the walls a drywall and have only been painted once. I bought 3/8 nap rollers and I think I may have bought the wrong ones, they say for semi-smooth surfaces. Should I take them back and get the 1/4 nap for smooth surfaces, I would like a smooth surface on my bathroom wall. Thanks.......

Old 01-20-11, 03:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The 3/8" should be fine. About the only time I'll use a 1/4" nap is if I'm rolling an enamel on an ultra slick substrate like a door or shelving. Even then a heavier nap and back brushing or tipping off is quicker. Using a 1/4" nap on a wall would likely result in coverage issues not to mention the extra time spent trying to get enough paint on the wall.

Old 01-20-11, 05:07 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I do way more painting than most homeowners, and I use 3/8 inch nap rollers almost exclusively. They hold more paint and the results are just as smooth as with 1/4 inch nap rollers. If the printing on the paint roller sleeve is in metric, 3/8 of an inch is 10 millimeters.

Also, if this is a bathroom you're painting, you'd do well to use a paint specifically made for bathrooms like either Sherwin Williams Bath Paint or Zinsser's PermaWhite Bathroom Paint (sold at Home Depot). Bathroom paints will be made from Plexiglas resins which are particularily resistant to moisture, and so bathroom paints won't crack and peel, which is common to see with budget priced paints used in bathrooms. Also, Bathroom Paints will have mildewcides added to them which leach out of the paint over the course of 15 or 20 years to kill any mildew spores on the paint before they have a chance to grow. That keeps your bathroom looking clean.

Old 01-22-11, 05:56 AM
G
I went to Home Depot and told the guy I wanted to paint my bathroom. He sold me the brand 'BEHR" paint, he said that BEHR puts additives in all their paints to prevent mold and mildo, I hope he's right.

Old 01-22-11, 10:55 AM
N
Originally Posted by grantiman View Post
I went to Home Depot and told the guy I wanted to paint my bathroom. He sold me the brand 'BEHR" paint, he said that BEHR puts additives in all their paints to prevent mold and mildo, I hope he's right.
Don't believe him. If that's what he said, then you can conclude that he knows about as much about paint as you do.

If you want to avoid problems with a latex paint in a room that's subject to both high humidity and mildew growth, buy a paint that's specifically made for bathrooms. If the orange apron knew something about paint he'd be telling you the same thing.

After all, no paint company would spend extra money producing a line of paints specifically meant for bathrooms if the requirements of such a paint were the same as for any other interior latex paint. Have you ever heard of a "Bedroom Paint" or a "Livingroom Paint"? You won't because any latex interior paint will be appropriate to use in a bedroom, hallway or living room. That's because those rooms aren't humid much of the time like bathrooms are, and therefore aren't as prone to the paint cracking and peeling, or mildew growing on the paint.

Trust me when I say this: Zinsser's wouldn't pay chemists to be on staff if their PermaWhite Bathroom paint weren't appreciably different than anyone else's latex paint. And, the experts on these forums (like myself) wouldn't be telling you to use a paint specifically made for bathrooms unless we had personal experience with such things. So, you're going to dismiss both of those facts over the cost difference of $10 between a gallon of Behr and a gallon of PermaWhite? Think about that when you're repainting your bathroom with PermaWhite a few years from now. I own a small apartment block with 21 bathrooms. I have Zinsser's PermaWhite in every last one of those bathrooms. That's because it stands up well in a bathroom so I have fewer problems to deal with in those bathrooms. You can see pictures of those bathrooms on my web site at:

http://users/usinternet.com/nkelebay

The n in nkelebay stands for Nestor Kelebay, or, yours truly.

But, it's your money, it's your bathroom and it's your decision.

Here, Behr Paint's laboratory phone number in Canada is 1-800-661-1591. Ask to talk to Claude (if he still works there) and ask Claude whether or not you're better off painting a bathroom with a paint specifically made for bathrooms, or an ordinary latex paint meant for bedrooms, living rooms and hallways.

Last edited by Nestor; 01-22-11 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-22-11, 12:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that using a paint formulated specifically for bath rms is best although a regular latex enamel might do ok, especially if you add some extra mildewcide to it [you can buy a little packet and add it yourself] It also helps to have and run an exhaust fan in the bath rm during steamy conditions. Using most any latex wall enamel is bare minimum for a bath rm with a shower, a kitchen and bath enamel is best.

Old 01-22-11, 02:38 PM
N
Behr doesn't make any regular latex paints so far as I know. Every can they make has "enamel" emblazoned on the label.

Old 01-24-11, 07:46 AM
G
Thanks, I'll be going back to home depot and talk with the guy. The paint he sold me was a "interior satin enamel" if that makes any differance, I'll keep you posted....

Old 01-24-11, 02:33 PM
N
Tell the guy in the orange apron that there's a spelling mistake on the can's label.

It should read "Interior Satin Paint".

That word "enamel" on Behr's paint makes as much difference as a racing stripe does on a car.

You'd be better off with a paint made specifically for bathrooms.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can make him drink.

Last edited by Nestor; 01-24-11 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-24-11, 02:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Satin or semi-gloss are the 2 most popular enamels for walls. A satin finish should be fine for your bath rm. I doubt that I've used that particular paint so I can't comment on how well it will work.

Old 01-24-11, 04:33 PM
G
Thanks, I'll be sure to get the paint used just for bathrooms, I'll keep you posted as soon as I get a chance to get down there, thanks again......

Old 01-24-11, 06:24 PM
N
Originally Posted by grantiman View Post
Thanks, I'll be sure to get the paint used just for bathrooms...

Another lost soul has found the guiding light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: