Freshly painted wall is peeling..........

Old 02-02-11, 05:36 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Freshly painted wall is peeling..........

Put in a new bathroom vanity sink top, the wall bowed in alittle in back of the sink top. I leveled it out with dura-bond, finshed it off with plaster for a nice smooth finish, then primed the wall. I painted the wall with a interior enamel and waited a day for it to dry, next day I put on a second coat. About a half hour later I saw a bubble on the area where I plastered, figured I would just peel it off, sand it and re-paint where the bubble was. I pulled on the bubble and all my paint started to peel away from the wall, thought it needed more time to dry so I waited till the next day. I pull on the loose paint and it is still peeling off the wall in the plastered area. I have always used latex paint over plaster and never had a problem, why am I getting it with enamel paint, can anyone help? Thanks.......

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-11, 06:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Mark's input will likely be needed here but your process seems fine so I can only guess there was additional drying time needed before the primer was applied

Is the paint peeling down to the primer or the plaster?

Old 02-02-11, 07:18 AM
G
The back of the paint that peeled off is white, it looks like it took some of the primer off to the plaster but not all of it.....

Old 02-02-11, 08:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yeah, looks like an adhesion issue and I would suspect excess moisture as the culprit

How long did you let the dura bond and the plaster coats dry?

Old 02-02-11, 08:29 AM
G
I let them dry 10-12 hours. It looked like it was taking a long time for both to dry, this is on an outside wall which was a little cold that day. What should I do now, I can still pull the paint off the plastered area very easily, the rest of the wall paint looks good.

Old 02-02-11, 09:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
My thought would be to remove all the loose paint and give the surface underneath a couple days to dry

You'll need to reprime and repaint but I would think a skim coat of joint coumpound to even the surface out might be in order first

Old 02-02-11, 09:45 AM
G
ok thanks, I'll keep you posted on how it turns out............

Old 02-02-11, 03:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Did you remove the sanding dust before you applied the primer?

Old 02-06-11, 08:42 AM
I have run into similar problems in the past when dealing with plaster walls. It may not be the plaster at all. Experience has shown me that, in the past, someone may have painted the walls with a latex paint when it had previously been painted with "oil." If that was the history, the "Never paint latex over "oil" without priming first" rule was broken. If your problem continues without resolve, I would resurface and coat with either Gardz or an alkyd primer, before the finish coat(s) is applied.

Old 03-22-11, 08:15 PM
G
I called the paint company and explained my problem. They told me that seeing this was a colder outside wall and a dark color with a lot of pigment in it, I should apply the first coat on thin and give it extra time to dry to cure to the wall. I gave the first coat a few days to dry good then applied the second coat a little heavier, that did the trick. The company also refunded me the money I spent on the first gallon of paint I used, wall looks great and I'm not out any money, only a little extra time. Thanks for all the help......