Painting Cinder Blocks - Will this work???

Old 02-07-11, 11:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Cinder Blocks - Will this work???

I have a standalone garage made of cinder blocks that is just an eyesore to look at, and would like to paint it. I'm also trying to be as cost effective as possible, and I know from experience that blocks soak up a LOT of paint before anything will really start to stick. I know that the standard is to use a block-fill primer, but painting interior and exterior will really add up to a lot of primer to buy... However, I do have a VERY healthy supply of various mismatching paints from old projects and was wondering if I could alternatively use these as much as possible as the base to fill in the pores.

Is this a plausible idea or would everything just wear down in the long run without a proper primer made for blocks? If I can't get away with it on the exterior, would it hold up on the interior? Thought I would at least ask before biting the bullet and buying all that block-fill...

Any help is much appreciated!

Old 02-07-11, 01:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You really should use the block fill primer! [drylok if waterproofing is needed] It will seal the pores, just throwing paint at the wall will eventually get it colored but it will still have open pores and not look like a pro paint job. You could probably get by with mixing 1 gallon [maybe 2 max] of your leftover paint with a 5 gal bucket of block fill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: