Painting ideas on red, white walls, Oak wood floors? what color for trim?

Old 02-13-11, 07:57 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Painting ideas on red, white walls, Oak wood floors? what color for trim?

My living room area is about 20 x 14 or so..

I had painted one wall a color called Terracotta Rose. As always the color looked a lot nicer on the color chip in the store. It looks ok, but a little bright for me. Regardless being I only paint once every other 10 yrs or so, it is staying for a while.
I painted the other ajoining walls and ceiling what is called "Picket fence" Go figure... the name caught my eye. lol
Both colors together are ok. Both are of an eggshell luster.
Now I am on the moulding. I have a light cream there now but I have had that color for 11 years now and I am sick of it.

Still, the old light cream color looks nice with the reddish wall and whitish wall.
My floors are light white oak , 3 yr ago sanded floors.
I also have a mantle to incorporate into the painting. And wood shelves to the right and left of the mantle.
I wanted to paint the moulding a very dark brown, or shade of very , very dark red.
What luster should I use. Some say Glossy,,, some others say semi gloss
And more so the question is this...
Can I paint the base moulding a dark color while coming to the door way painting the door moulding a lighter color that when I come to the book cases and the fireplace and the mantle painting them too the lighter color?

Is painting moulding in the same room 2 different colors acceptable in the painting world?

In some sense to me it sounds ok.

But it is a lot of moulding to mess up. I am more keen to hear what people think... and then I can act on opinion added to my own thoughts.

The reason I would want the colors that rise from the floor to be lighter is because I am trying to not darken the room any more than it is. The room used be all white., with the cream trim. I am good for a change, but I already have that with one wall in terracotta rose more or less Red.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 02-13-11, 12:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IMO the woodwork looks best when it's all the same color [either whole house or one section] Woodwork should always be painted with an enamel, the color and sheen level is more personal preference than anything else. Painting the wood trim with a shinier paint than the walls helps to accent it some.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: