Need recommendation for latex flat paint like Sears

Old 02-21-11, 01:02 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need recommendation for latex flat paint like Sears

Sears has discontinued their paints. I have used Sears paint for over 40 years most recently their interior Irish Linen flat latex. I would usually buy it on sale and found that their cheapest was as good as their higher quality paint. It covered a similar color in one coat, leveled well, cleaned well (even hair dye) and performed even in the bathroom. I would like to find a similar paint. In reading paint reviews, Sherwin Williams seems to have some sheen and Ace paint has been recommended. I have not been impressed with Behr in my kitchen. I believe that Sears and Martha Stewart paints are both made by SW but with different formulas. I have a friend that tried to match the paint at Glidden and it was too yellow. I wish I had known that they were discontinuing the paint. I would have stocked up.

Last edited by oetti; 02-21-11 at 01:15 PM. Reason: change to real post
Old 02-21-11, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Sometimes it logs you out. With the long posts you should copy the data you type, then if something happens you can paste it back.

"Oringinal poster deleted his original post so ignore the above".

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 02-21-11 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-21-11, 01:36 PM
O
Need recommendation for flat latex paint like Sears'

Sears discontinued their paint. I have used Sears paint for over 40 years most recently their interior flat latex Irish Linen. I loved the color, it covered a similar color in one coat, cleaned well (even splattered hair dye), and performed even in the bathroom. I have not been impressed with Behr. From reading reviews it seems that Sherwin Williams' has some sheen. Ace has been recommended. A friend had Glidden mix the color and twice and it was too yellow. I believe that SW made Sears and also makes Martha Stewart but with different formulas. I need the Irish Linen color to paint the vertical part of a tray celing where to walls have the Sears paint. I wish that I had known they where going to discontinue the paint. I would have stocked iup.

Old 02-21-11, 02:58 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Oetti:

You should be aware that it is not necessary to paint adjacent surfaces exactly the same colour; very similar colours will do.

That's because the different lighting and viewing angles make adjacent walls (or walls and ceilings ) or any two surface with an inside or outside corner between them appear to be slightly different colours anyhow. The brain recognizes that, and so if two adjacent surfaces are slightly different in colour, the brain attributes the entire difference to the different lighting and viewing angles, and assumes that they're actually the same colour. That is, you don't notice that slight difference in colour across a corner.

So, in order to "match" the Irish Linen paint on your tray ceiling, you simply need to paint up to the closest corner with a paint that's very similar in colour, and no one else will ever notice a difference.

Also, when a large chain store like Sears decides to start selling it's own line of paint, the paint manufacturers it approaches to supply the paint will tell that chain store that they can supply paint costing anywhere from $10 per gallon to $50 per gallon, and that they need some guidance as to what price point Sears wants their paint to sell for. Sears tells them what they figure "good" paint should sell for, and each paint manufacturer sharpens up his pencil and puts together the best package of binder, pigments and additives that will sell for that price, and submits his bid to Sears for approval.

Most likely, the reason you were impressed with this Irish Linen paint is because in circumstances like that, the volume discount the store would normally get ends up going to the customer in the form of a better binder resin or better additives package, or better whatever than one would normally expect to get for that selling price. So, if you believe that Sherwin Williams made this Irish Linen paint for Sears, I'd recommend you simply buy Sherwin Williams top-of-the-line interior latex paint (I think it's called "Superpaint") and have that tinted to the correct colour.

The other recommendation is to simply go with any large chain store's "house brand" paint because in each case, the selling price of the paint is determined beforehand, and so the volume discount ends up going to the customer in the form of better paint for that price.

I've heard nothing but good things about "American Tradition" paint sold by Lowes and at least one person in here has tried "Grand Distinction"; the house paint Menards sells and thought it was very good. Personally, I use Pratt & Lambert Accolade paint for all my painting needs, and I like it very much because there's practically no spatter what-so-ever, and that saves me a lot of time in not having to put down drop sheets.

Last edited by Nestor; 02-21-11 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-21-11, 03:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Most paint stores can match most colors. If you have some left over paint or a painted object that you can bring to the paint store - they should be able to match it. I'm referring to a real paint store, not a paint dept in a bigger store.

Flat paint isn't the best choice for a bath rm. It would be better to use a latex enamel, satin or eggshell is fine. Better yet use a bath rm paint - especially if there is a shower! It will have extra mildewcide and be formulated to withstand the harsher environment.

Last edited by marksr; 02-21-11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 08:48 AM
O
The Sears paint has been on the master bathroom walls for 10 years and it looks as good as it did at first. We do have a separate tiled shower stall and and exhaust fan but also we live in a very humid climate. We hang damp towels next to the walls with no problem. Maybe we have just be lucky. When we moved into the house, the wallpaper was loose in places so plainly there is humidity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: