Peeling Trim Paint

Old 03-19-11, 11:34 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peeling Trim Paint

Hey Everyone!

My first post here. I see lots of good advice. Hope that someone here can help.

Here's the issue: I have a semi-gloss trim that I would like to paint over. I painted over a decent size section of it with flat paint, no primer or anything else, for the sake of seeing if I like the color. That paint is now peeling off. I can scrape it off with a putty knife or my finger nail. The trim is a complex surface, so scraping it all off is not an easy thing.

I have 2 questions:

1. What should I do with the paint that wont stick? If I should remove it, what is the best way?

2. What is the best way to prepare the surface so that I can paint another semi-gloss finished paint over it. (Assume existing paint and new paint are both latex water based)

Thanks!
Pat

Old 03-19-11, 02:35 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You have to remove the paint that is peeling. I would scrape first, then sand.

Old 03-19-11, 02:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums Pat!

I'd rather not assume the existing paint is latex as an oil base enamel would cause the peeling
http://forum.doityourself.com/painti...latex-oil.html

Generally a light scuff sanding will allow quality flat latex paint to adhere without any issues to latex enamel. Did you happen to use one of those small sample paint cans - they're kind of cheap and not formulated for wear or adhesion over tricky surfaces.

Aggressive sanding should remove any paint that isn't stuck good enough. I'd start with 80 grit - that should remove what needs to come off, then use 120 or 150 grit to sand out any sanding scratches. You could also use lacquer thinner or a product like 'oops' or 'goof off' to dissolve and remove the flat paint - but if the underlying paint is latex, it might partially dissolve it too

If the existing enamel trim paint is oil base - you'll need to use an oil base primer before you can switch over to latex.

Old 03-19-11, 03:34 PM
W
I would also think that a latex conversion primer something like Zinsser's Bullseye 123 would work as well. Would remove the need for an oil based primer. Easier to work with for a DIY.

Other than that, I'd agree with everything Marksr said. Oil based primer would obviously work as well, just messier to work with and clean up is a pain.

Old 03-20-11, 01:33 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Oil based is suicidal & I doubt it's needed.

Old 03-20-11, 08:28 AM
P
Right on. Thanks for the good input. You're right, it was one of those sample colors. Looks like I have some work to do, and some things things to figure out before I paint, but better to do the rest right and not have to deal with this again.

You guys Rock!

Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: