Forgot to prime. Now what?

Old 04-02-11, 07:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Forgot to prime. Now what?

Let me just start by saying that I pulled a really bonehead move. We just remodeled our bathroom, and replaced the drywall on two walls. When I repainted, I forgot to prime those walls. When I pulled my tape, as you might guess, the paint started peeling with it.

So: Now what? So far there are just small areas right at the edges where the paint is peeling, but can I do anything to fix it and stop the issue from spreading?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-03-11, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

While priming is a needed step, I doubt it caused the peeling. What happens when you use tape and let the paint dry is the paint forms a bond with both the wall and the tape. When you pull the tape it pulls the paint with it. This may have happened even if you had used a primer. IMO it's best not to use tape but if you do, you need to either remove it while the paint is still wet or cut the bond at the edge of the tape with a knife.

To fix it you'll need to sand the edges and fill it in with either joint compound or spackling [spackle only works well for small areas] Once dry, sand, remove the dust and it's ready for paint. While it should be primed first, the repair might not match the rest of the wall if you prime the repair.

Old 04-03-11, 05:04 AM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
Not priming first is a huge deal and in a bathroom of all rooms to skip that step is a really big deal.
Priming is what helps the paint stick to the wall.
I'd suggest buying a 2" quality sash bruch and learn how to cut in around the trim and not use tape. Tape is more trouble then it's worth and it's not all that hard to learn how a pro would do it. Always paint the trim and do all your cut in work in the corners before ever painting the walls.
I'd suggest asking these pros that question and see what they say about it.
Problem Solver - Sherwin-Williams

Old 04-03-11, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 126 Posts
Marksr IS our pro, so you'd do well to listen to his advice, too.

Old 04-03-11, 01:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marksr -- Thanks so much for the quick, informative response! I'm sanding & spackling now. Fortunately it was just a couple of small spots, so the spackle should do it. It was really great to get this info. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-11, 08:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yep, tape has to come off while the paint is still wet, which means you may need to apply it more than once for multiple coats

That said, I think tape creates a false sense of security and try not to use it myself

And, as Shadeladie mentioned, Mark is our pro and I've never seen anyone with more knowledge on the subject

Old 04-04-11, 12:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Y'all are going to give me a big head
maybe that's why my hair wouldn't stay on top

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: