Staining Wood Inside

Old 12-29-00, 07:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I'm finishing my basement in the next month and I will be installing unfinished oak cabinets and oak hand rails. Should I stain and varnish in the basement or in the garage? I live outside of Chicago and it has been very cold in the garage. My concern about using the basement is the fumes emitted by the stain/varnish. Will keeping the windows open allow me to stain in the basement?

Old 12-29-00, 03:01 PM
Visiting Guest
hi there,

My first question:

is the furnace near the staining area ?

The smell is very strong and could be combustable.

What i recommend is to stain in garage and move to a heated area after staining. just be careful handeling unit after staining. As stain dries smell will decrease. have fun

Old 12-29-00, 06:22 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
petenaj, Although this not my first choice for staining you may want to consider Minwax Polyshades followed by Polycrylic clear finish. They are water based, fast drieing and will get you by...Also great thoughts from dougm9876.....Mike

Old 12-31-00, 09:39 AM
Visiting Guest
I always stain after installation, very seldom do I stain cabinets and handrail before installation. That way there is no chance of damage from moving them around plus any adjustments that may have to be made. If you are worried with fumes get a $30 OSHA aproved respirator. Put up 12 inch masking paper around them on the wall so there is no buildup on the wall, being sure to keep the paper and tape COMPLETELY off the wood to be finished. If you get minor splashes on the wall, none to worry because you prime and finish the walls last.

If this is not a choice then the garage method would be the thing to do. All good suggestions, hope we helped

[Edited by Chipfo on 12-31-00 at 12:46]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: