Mixing paint to get a certain color?

Old 04-06-11, 08:41 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Mixing paint to get a certain color?

I have several cans of bright white latex paint, flat, satin, gloss, etc. I would like to mix some color to get off white, antique white, vanilla, cream, etc.

What colors could i mix to get the color I'm looking for?

I have some browns, chocolate, tans, red, in paint cans and sample paint cans.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-11, 11:00 AM
You can mix compatible type paints (oil with oil, latex with latex, etc., but not oil with latex).

You will never be able to match what you end up with.

Dick

Old 04-06-11, 01:58 PM
K
I know this already. I just need to know what colors to mix, to get the colors i desire.

Old 04-06-11, 02:24 PM
Browns, tans and chocolate are all in the same "family" and are fairly neutral. The red is a little warmer and may help depending on your relatively undefined objective.

Go to a paint store and ask for the samples of "off white, antique white, vanilla, cream, etc.". After that, your get an idea of what you are looking for as a general sample.

You have to be a little more definite and buy exactly what you need rather than use old left-overs for a costly experiment since paint does change colors after it dries/cures.

Dick

Old 04-06-11, 02:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
There are 100's of off whites and just about every paint manufacture has an antique white but none of them are the same color. Custom on site mixing is all but a dying art. While I've picked up some over the years, I'm a novice at mixing colors compared to the painters that I apprenticed with. You might want to add some yellow to the mix. Be sure to mix up plenty of paint for the job at hand because as Dick stated - it would be all but impossible to match the mix. While different sheens can be intermixed, you need to mix it well to make sure the batch is consistent in it's sheen.

Old 04-17-11, 07:50 PM
K
Isn't there some kind of color wheel I can get at home depot to show me what colors I mix will look like? There may even be some software I can download for color mixing.

Old 04-17-11, 08:10 PM
Since you have already decided where the paint will come from, just ti there and ask them to make what you want from the sample you have decided on. They have ability to match what your want from the samples of white, antique white, vanilla, cream, etc. that byou posted in your first post.

Most paint suppliers have the equipment to match the color with the paint they offer. The next step is determining what quality you want and what you want to pay.

Unfortunately, you computer monitor will not be able to reflect the effect of the sheen/texture. Printing out the colors could be totally different situation. This is assuming your computer monitor has the correct color balance to fully utilize even if a magic "color wheel" existed for blending left over paint. The problem of the lighting in the room can only be addressed on a personal basis using an untrained eye.

Dick