Painting over wallpaper

Old 12-29-00, 08:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I was told it would be ok to paint over wallpaper if I seal the paper with shelac (spelling?) first. Any suggestions?

Old 12-30-00, 05:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Painting over wallpaper needs nothing more than a good coverage paint. Dulux do an emulsion called ONCE and like it says on the can, it only takes one coat to cover almost any colour or pattern. Just make sure that the wallpaper edges are stuck down firmly. I find boarder adhesive effective and it comes in a small tube for easy application.

Old 12-30-00, 12:32 PM
Visiting Guest
I agree, latex paint will stick well to wallpaper, but some wallpapers will loosen from the moister from the paint, I always recomend priming the paper with an oilbased primer or a shelac primer prior to painting to seal out the moister. Most of the time is is alright to paint right on the paper, but site-unseen on my side I say take no chances and seal it first.

There is a product made for this type of application, it is called 007, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Hope this helps,

Old 01-05-01, 08:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Old 01-13-01, 05:30 PM
Visiting Guest
I've painted over wallpaper many times and have always been disappointed with the results, even after sealing it. Seams can show. Differences in absorbtion in the paper can leave an afterimage in the paint (even with a sealer). And, that, of course, assumes the paper stays on. I've had paper that was painted start to loosen and fall off 4 years after it was painted. My advice would be to get a $15 garden sprayer, some warm water, and some fabric softener and spray the paper. Unless it's vinyl coated (in which case it needs to be scored), it will fall off with little effort. Then clean the walls and start painting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: