texture exterior paint

Old 04-22-11, 01:58 PM
W
wwc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
texture exterior paint

I have a block wall home with a artificial stucco look on the exterior with what looks like a slurry of cement over the block and paint over that, it's chipped alot and is bare in several places i would like to repaint and get a more even coverage of texture.

Is there a paint with texture i can paint over all this and look more like a rough egg shell appearance a lot like a taco bell exterior texture.
I have heard of people putting sand or oat meal in paint and rolling that on but I have never tried it.

Old 04-22-11, 02:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Could you post a pic or two? I'm not sure what artificial texture is

More than likely you'll need to make repairs with a stucco mix, then prime and paint. I don't know that there is an exterior texture paint that will do the job you want. While I've never heard of adding oatmeal to paint there is a sand mix additive that will give a gritty texture over slick drywall. I don't know that it would have much effect on exterior masonry.

Old 04-22-11, 05:46 PM
W
wwc
It's hard to get a decent photo to show what i mean but imagine taking a dry brush and sticking it in cement in a bucket and then brushing it one a wall and leaving behind a texture feel to it, there is no chicken wire over the block like traditional stucco.
next time you go to taco bell check out their exterior walls ,it is a sprayed on texture but i would like to recreate that look with a roller or brush.

Old 04-23-11, 01:10 AM
V
I heard about sand additives to paint too. You might want to try something like that on a small patch to check if the texture matches the existing texture.

Old 04-23-11, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I used to live in fla and the SOP for stucco over block was just to apply the stucco mix directly over the raw block. It's always seemed to hold up well. The 2 main types of stucco texture are a rough skip trowel like texture and a semi smooth gritty texture. I suspect you have the latter. Basically you apply the stucco mix fairly smooth and then as it sets up you go back over it with a float or brush.

You might want to try reposting in the masonry forum. While I've painted miles of stucco, I've not applied any other than trying to make repairs for customers prior to painting.

Old 04-23-11, 10:37 PM
W
wwc
Thanks for the help, i'll keep checking around.
I just want a even "egg shell" finish over what i have now which isn't very rough like tradional skip type stucco.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: