Professional Painter Issues

Old 04-26-11, 04:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Professional Painter Issues

So I paid this painter $1,500 to come in and paint a few rooms. After one day of painting him and his crew of 2 got half way done with all the painting. Throughout all the areas they painted, there are about 25 splatter spots of paint on my brand new carpet. About 10 of those spots are easily noticeable by just walking by. The rest are only noticeable if I get on my hands and knees to look for it. Then in one of my bedrooms the dripped about a quarter size spot of paint on my new carpet. You can tell he tried to wipe it up a little, but didn't suceed because it is very noticeable since it's light blue paint on a sand colored carpet. Then there is another dime size drip of paint in another spot in the room. They are totally done in one room. Around the ceiling where they cut in the paint, there are quite a few spots of blue on the ceiling where their hand wavered a little and got some on the ceiling. It's definitely noticeable. Especially to me because I don't do that. If I feel like I may not be as steady, then I'll use painters tape.

They will be back tomorrow to hopefully finish up. Is this the normal standard of professional painters? Is the quality of painting diminished to where this is acceptable? If it's not acceptable, what should I do? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-27-11, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Your painter's aren't very professional

Don't pay them until they have cleaned up their mess! If it requires a cleaner to come in, then that cost should be deducted from the painter's pay. The paint spots on the ceiling might be able to be touched up with ceiling paint, otherwise they can repaint the ceiling.

Old 04-27-11, 04:49 AM
T
That's what I figured. Should I wait until the job is over to tell him he's going to need to fix all the spots or have a cleaner? Or should I tell him first thing this morning? I don't want him to get scared he's not going to get his money and then walk away from the job half finished.

Old 04-27-11, 05:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd tell him as soon as he shows up, give him a chance to make it right. If he bails - good riddance! Use the money to hire someone who will do the job right!

Old 04-27-11, 05:30 AM
V
He he (I know its not funny its just reminds me one of the reasons I started DIY )
I would tell the painters about the mess and then ask them to repair the damage.
I was painting a balcony recently that has a marble strip on the bottom of the wall. It looks really nice now after scraping the paint for 5 days or something the painters painted all over it last time we hired some people to paint it.

Old 04-27-11, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I probably should have included this earlier but denatured alcohol and products like 'oops' and 'goof off' will remove dried latex paint. It would be a good idea to test the product in an unseen area just to make sure it won't hurt the color of the carpet.

Old 04-27-11, 06:18 AM
T
I spoke with him this morning. He said he'll take care of getting it up. Ya know, I've painted 5 rooms in the past year or so, and I've never done that poor of a job. I taught myself to paint too. It's pretty much common sense to me. If I wasn't renting the house in 4 weeks, I'd be doing it myself. But anyways, thank you for all the tips. Next time I'll just take time off work and do it myself.

Old 04-27-11, 07:08 AM
V
There are probably good crews if you look around and can afford them.
They might also were planning to repair the damage without you telling them as well. But some do seem to make a mess and not care much too.
Here in Greece an organized and advertized crew is usually a good indication.

Old 04-27-11, 10:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Yep, pros will usually make it right but sometimes you have to point things out to them

Myself, I can't help but drip paint but that's why someone invented the drop cloth

Old 04-27-11, 02:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
When I first started painting I worked for a guy that told me 'there is no shame in getting paint on something it doesn't belong on - the shame is in leaving it there' A painter caries a rag for a reason! Drop cloths help but if an accident happens - you deal with it.

theeuphinator - make sure everything is right before you write the check - that's your best tool for getting the work done correctly!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: